I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 (Windows 8.1), whose USB ports suddenly stopped working. The USB Root Hub showed a yellow exclamation mark next to it in device manager, so I tried uninstalling them and restarting the laptop to no avail. It now shows 3 Unknown devices and no USB Root Hubs.
I have tried installing the latest chipset drivers with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Please do try to uninstall/reinstall that driver that has a problem.
- In Device Manager uninstall those 3 unknown drivers.
- Download install the Intel Chipset driver from Dell Support site.
- Here's the link: http/downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01692896M/1/Chipset_Driver_61V9W_WN_184.108.40.2066_A00.EXE
- Once the driver has installed reboot your laptop then check Device Manager again if it would be listed normally and will work.
- If these will not work do a System Restore, restore it back to an earlier date or time when you remember it was working fine.
- Lastly, doing a clean install would also resolve the issue.