Solved! USB Tethering doesnt work in my new phone but does in my old

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2019
Hi,
So i share my phones data to my pc to access internet because i dont have wifi
In my old phone this work normally as it should but if i press the usb tethering option in my new phone nothing happens in my pc
But i can access my new phones file from my pc so i dont think its the USB problem
I tested using USB tethering using my dads phone and it also didnt work
Any Ideas?
Thanks

Solution
When you physically connect the phone to the computer are you getting a popup on the phone asking how you want to connect? If not, then you may have to swipe down to access the options. This can cause the problem.

It could also be that you carrier/service provider has restricted the USB tethering option on that phone. Not shocking. Happens a lot. If that is the case you might want to try using the phone as a WiFi connection rather than connecting via USB. On the computer end it would be just like connecting to any WiFi.

If it is at all possible it would be done this way...

1. Go into "Settings" and in the "Wireless & networks" section tap "More".
  2. Now tap "Tethering & portable hotspot".
  3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up...
May 30, 2019
EDIT: it seems like my pc doesnt recognize my phone or something like that because it doesnt show my phone connected in the network & internet settings when i enable USB tether from my new phone
How do i fix this

When you physically connect the phone to the computer are you getting a popup on the phone asking how you want to connect? If not, then you may have to swipe down to access the options. This can cause the problem.

It could also be that you carrier/service provider has restricted the USB tethering option on that phone. Not shocking. Happens a lot. If that is the case you might want to try using the phone as a WiFi connection rather than connecting via USB. On the computer end it would be just like connecting to any WiFi.

3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up WiFi hotspot"
  4. On this new screen you will see options for a "Network Name", "Security", "Password" and "Network Band". You can change them or keep them as is. It is really up to you.
  5. Now you would just need to search for the hotspot by name using the second device.

NOTE: While a WiFi hotspot feature is built into Android, some service providers/carriers, especially in the United States, hide it. You would then need to see if you can locate an app that you can install to help with this.

Reactions: sandycullen
Solution
Dec 6, 2018
Well if you can access the phone files from pc then it is clear that USB cable, and ports are fine.
Now it comes to the settings in your phone, when the phone is connected to the PC, then it prompts how to connect, select USB tethering or exchange data/ files
Else go to settings under
wireless and networks click on more
then select USB tethering, wait for sometime
Now, under PC click on the option where LAN or WiFi icon appears
Right click and select and Netwrok settings
Enable WiFi and wait for sometime the PC will be connected to internet
Try to Restart the PC and again connect it, else you can enable mobile hotspot and connect computer/laptop via wifi.

May 30, 2019

3. For "Wireless Tethering" tap "Set up WiFi hotspot"
  4. On this new screen you will see options for a "Network Name", "Security", "Password" and "Network Band". You can change them or keep them as is. It is really up to you.
  5. Now you would just need to search for the hotspot by name using the second device.
NOTE: While a WiFi hotspot feature is built into Android, some service providers/carriers, especially in the United States, hide it. You would then need to see if you can locate an app that you can install to help with this.
When i connect my phone to my pc i gets a popup asking if i would allow or deny the access to access my files from the computer
also my computer does not have a wifi built in :(

Status
Not open for further replies.