Use Google Voice from Google Phone Booths

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Lets see, a free telephone booth, at public places like Airports and Universities, I can imagine ONE person talking on that thing for days. People are rather inconsiderate. At least in old phone booths you had to keep inserting change every 5 minutes or something (been a LONG time).

That said, this is nifty, but its only free for now. Obviously, Google can't keep this up forever, how will they make money off your phone calls, listen in and interrupt you ever few minutes with an ad? That would never fly. I imagine it will change over to skype-like prices. In the end, I find MagicJack a lot easier, since I can connect my phone directly to it. I don't have to sit in front of my computer or lug my laptop around the house if I want to make a call and move around.

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Obviously, Google can't keep this up forever, how will they make money off your phone calls, listen in and interrupt you ever few minutes with an ad? That would never fly. I imagine it will change over to skype-like prices.[/citation]
I guess you didn't read the article or didn't quite understand that it says, "make calls from inside Gmail, using your Google Voice credit." Since it's on one's own credit, it means it's not free and that Google isn't covering the costs but that the user pays in the end, not with ads, but money.
I don't quite think this program will fly since they'll need to make a lot of booths to cover any zones without wireless coverage, but Google DOES have a lot of money to make 'em. Will be interesting to try.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Spike53[/nom]I guess you didn't read the article[/citation]

Maybe you should learn to read before you post
calls inside the U.S. and Canada are free.

Flaming aside, I don't see this as particularly useful as most people that travel have cellphones as do most colledge students, but hey its a cheap way to advertise and provides a service at the same time.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Spike53[/nom]I guess you didn't read the article or didn't quite understand that it says, "make calls from inside Gmail, using your Google Voice credit." Since it's on one's own credit, it means it's not free and that Google isn't covering the costs but that the user pays in the end, not with ads, but money. I don't quite think this program will fly since they'll need to make a lot of booths to cover any zones without wireless coverage, but Google DOES have a lot of money to make 'em. Will be interesting to try.[/citation]

not sure you read it either, here or anywhere else for that matter.

for the present and next four months, it seems all calls will be free. after that they wont be.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I'm all for VoIP services however I still like using a traditional handset and I'm not for having to keep a computer running to receive calls (thus nixing Magic Jack). Ooma isn't that horrible of a deal if you really look it over and see VoIP as a serious asset. With some minimal knowledge of your router's Quality of Service settings you won't notice the difference between a good VoIP solution vs standard land line.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Spike53[/nom]I guess you didn't read the article or didn't quite understand that it says, "make calls from inside Gmail, using your Google Voice credit." [/citation]

Yeah, finish reading the sentence...for international calls. Maybe next time you'll try to not be such a deliberate ass.

Article wise though, I see no major negatives...Google makes money with ads to let people connect for free!

*wonders if he could take one home...*

Status
Not open for further replies.