Solved! Use Old AV Receiver as Power Amp

Sparrow711

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hey there,

I am currently designing a home theater system (reusing old equipment & buying some new ones).
I intend to buy a new 7.2 channel AVR like Denon X-1600h. I would actually like a 9.2 channel AVR but it is just too costly.
Therefore I was wondering if it would be possible to use my old AVR Pioneer VSX-501 as a power amp for two additional height channels?
Only issue is that the Denon does not have pre outs (except for SW) and that the Pioneer does not have a multichannel inputs.

Would appreciate any help / ideas on the possibility of using my old pioneer receiver in conjunction with the new denon to power two additional channels to make a 9.1 system.
Thanks in advance.

Here is the link to the back cover of the Pioneer receiver.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190685343@N06/shares/cjpUD4

Solution
That Denon doesn't have the processing for additional height channels.
You would need a receiver with 7 channels of power but 9 channels of processing, That receiver would have RCA outputs for those channels that could connect to any line level input of the Pioneer. You would select that input, set the volume of the Pioneer and leave it at that position.
You would need a receiver with 7 channels of power but 9 channels of processing, That receiver would have RCA outputs for those channels that could connect to any line level input of the Pioneer. You would select that input, set the volume of the Pioneer and leave it at that position.

Reactions: Sparrow711
Solution

Sparrow711

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for your reply - that really cleared things up.

I tried looking for 7 channels receivers with 9 channel processing but couldn't find any (could only find 9 channel receivers with 11 channel processing). Would you happen to know of any?
Also just to confirm my understanding, I am currently looking for 7.2 channels AVRs with 9 pre outs as that would be an indication that the AVR can process up to 9 channels, is my understanding correct?

Side question: I came across a relatively cheaper 9.2 channel AVR, Pioneer VSX-LX304, do you have any thoughts on it? There aren't many reviews on Pioneer AVRs, most of it are about Denon, Yamaha & Marantz.

Thank you.

It wouldn't need to have 9 preouts. It would only need 2 preouts for the channels that require external amps.

In general most AVRs have very deceptive power ratings.
The power is given with only 1 or 2 channels working and don't give you any rating when all channels are working. The distortion is extremely high at the stated rating and is often at 1khz rather than 20-20khz.
Some receivers incrementally reduce the amount of power when the receiver runs hot. After a short time you only get a small percentage of the already inaccurate power rating. It makes it hard to compare AVRs for power let alone quality.
Personally I prefer Marantz AVRs. The power rating is fairly accurate and the sound quality excellent (for an AVR). If you're budget is lower than check out Onkyo (Pioneer and Onkyo are sister companies).

Reactions: Sparrow711

Sparrow711

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
It wouldn't need to have 9 preouts. It would only need 2 preouts for the channels that require external amps.

In general most AVRs have very deceptive power ratings.
The power is given with only 1 or 2 channels working and don't give you any rating when all channels are working. The distortion is extremely high at the stated rating and is often at 1khz rather than 20-20khz.
Some receivers incrementally reduce the amount of power when the receiver runs hot. After a short time you only get a small percentage of the already inaccurate power rating. It makes it hard to compare AVRs for power let alone quality.
Personally I prefer Marantz AVRs. The power rating is fairly accurate and the sound quality excellent (for an AVR). If you're budget is lower than check out Onkyo (Pioneer and Onkyo are sister companies).

Understood, thanks for sharing some insightful info on the power ratings - seems to be consistent with what I have been reading online.

Will be sure to test the AVR while running all channels before purchasing.

Thank you once again for your help - appreciate it.