Use TV as secondary monitor for desktop-based PC -Windows 7-wirelessly

porbar

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I have a new LG TV (Model LN5700) that is WiDi capable. I have new Windows 7 desktop (not laptop) with Intel 4th generation i7 processor. I want a dual-monitor setup with my TV as a secondary monitor and desktop as primary--display different applications on each--not mirroring or streaming. How can I do this wirelessly?

Solution
To use WiDi, you need a mobile Intel processor. The desktop Intel processors do not have WiDi on them, I believe you will need to get an adapter in order to use it.

Even then, your primary graphics adapter will need to be the Intel HD one in the i7, which, if you've got a meaty graphics card, isn't a fantastic solution.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
To use WiDi, you need a mobile Intel processor. The desktop Intel processors do not have WiDi on them, I believe you will need to get an adapter in order to use it.

Even then, your primary graphics adapter will need to be the Intel HD one in the i7, which, if you've got a meaty graphics card, isn't a fantastic solution.

Solution

porbar

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Ok-that confirms my thoughts on the WiDi with desktop PC CPU. This is a Dell OptiPlex 9020 with AMD Radeon 8470-so nothing real special. What type of adapter should I look for? I am familiar with Netgear Push2TV and Veebeam but that is more for screen mirroring/streaming.Thansk again