Using 135w charger instead of 120w

parth13

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
So I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p since 2013, in around January 2017 it's adapter broke which came with it. It was a 120w adapter with output as following: 19.5v, 6.15A. It had 5.5x2.5mm round pin, i tried to find one on online sites and in local shops but wasn't successful but i used the one with lower Ampere output with same 19.5v but 4.74A, and it broke recently, I have found one adapter that is made by lenovo but it has a different pin and higher output which are 20v and 6.75A, is it possible to change it's pin with the one that my laptop uses? Will it be dangerous to use an adapter that gives higher output? I've heard that an adapter gives out only the power the laptop needs. It would be helpful if someone who has better knowledge about this gives any idea on what to do.

Solution
Higher amperage isn't a problem. The rating is the maximum amperage the charger can supply. The actual number of amps it provides will scale depending on how much the laptop needs. So as long as the rated amperage is greater than the max the laptop can demand, you are good.

Voltage is a different matter. You want the rated voltage to be as close as possible to the original charger, preferably exact. The laptop is designed to work with a small range of voltages - the battery's voltage will change as its charge level drops. So 20V vs 19.5V is probably close enough that it'll work, but we can't guarantee you won't have problems. Also, if you can't match the voltage, going lower is safer than going higher. Supplying too-low...
Higher amperage isn't a problem. The rating is the maximum amperage the charger can supply. The actual number of amps it provides will scale depending on how much the laptop needs. So as long as the rated amperage is greater than the max the laptop can demand, you are good.

Voltage is a different matter. You want the rated voltage to be as close as possible to the original charger, preferably exact. The laptop is designed to work with a small range of voltages - the battery's voltage will change as its charge level drops. So 20V vs 19.5V is probably close enough that it'll work, but we can't guarantee you won't have problems. Also, if you can't match the voltage, going lower is safer than going higher. Supplying too-low voltage can cause the laptop to not work. Supply too-high voltage can fry the laptop.

Changing the pin... while it can be done, if you need to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it. Anyone who's spliced electrical wires together will know how to do it, but since you're asking I'm assuming you don't have any experience doing this sort of thing. If you screw it up, you can fry the laptop, or start a fire, or electrocute yourself. Why not look for a universal charger online or at a store? Those usually come with lots of different connectors so you can swap in the correct size.

Solution

mazboy

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Wow. With all the high-explosive, cheap, fire-causing cables and chargers out there, you'd think someone would recommend sticking with the OEM charger? Oh, wait! That's me!! Cheap is as cheap does, and straying from OEM is asking for trouble.

Your mileage may vary...

That would be my advice too.

TRENDING THREADS