Solved! Using a 3.5mm to usb adapter on headset?

Jan 28, 2020
I have a HyperX cloud stinger headset but it is falling apart a bit and wanted to get a new budget friendly PC headset. I was looking at the Razer Kraken X Ultralight. The issue I was having is my desktop has the two separate ports, 1 for headphones and 1 for mic. So I was using the the splitter with my HyperX and for some reason people were screaming in agony at whatever noise was coming through my mic. I built the PC myself and was wondering if I did something, the audio from the headphones works fine so I'm not sure. Anyway, I wanted to try and avoid this problem by buying an adapter that would change the 3.5mm jack to usb so I could avoid using the mic jack on my desktop altogether. Is this possible to do? will using the adapter still allow me to use the mic and not just have audio input into the headphones?

I saw different adapters, some that take both the heaphone and mic jack and then convert to usb and then I saw some that are straight audio jack to usb. Does it matter which 1 I buy? I would prefer not to have to use the splitter and just go single 3.5mm to usb.

I some some posts about losing quality with using the adapters, is that really that much of an issue?

Solution
These "adapters" are external USB sound cards.

Did you reinstall the audio drivers for your onboard sound of your motherboard? Might be a simple setting in the driver as well, to sort out the mic problem