Using a full size box fan underneath macbook to cool down a macbook?

Denis_20

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
So... I used to just pointed a mini fan towards my macbook to cool it down during game sessions but it seems to not be really too effective and dust builds up super quickly.

After walking down the street, I saw some box fans on sale and I got a amazing idea. I would just buy a box fan and use it as a macbook cooling pad! A example of a box fan: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-20-Box-Fan-White/42388499 Think about it, how ****ing amazing is this idea. Most cooling pads are a pile of stinking **** and me blowing out a candle has more air force. This would cool the living **** out of my macbook. I was thinking I would build a stand out of some softwood to angle the macbook and just place a box fan underneath it. (Like im watching a twitch stream and the cpu is like 94 degrees! holy ****!)

Concept ****** Photoshop: http://imgur.com/a/X2geh (sizes are not to scale)

The only thing I want to ask is would this powerful ass engine fan cause like some static discharge that could damage my laptop?

I heard that the big electric motor throwing off electromagnetic fields since it will be very close

Is it safe to put a fan so close to a macbook?

Solution
I wouldn't be anywhere near worried about the fan's electromagnetic fields damaging your laptop. The most vulnerable part of your computer would be the Hard Drive (I think) but they'd still be no problem whatsoever. I have an old desktop server with the power supply connected to the case by a huge magnet because it wouldn't fit otherwise. No such problems so far ;)

Shouldn't really create any static discharge that could damage your laptop, especially from outside.

You probably would be well off unscrewing the back of your laptop and just spraying the insides with an air compressor to remove some dust; because dust kind of insulates and blocks air flow, creating a lot of heat.

Good luck ya crazy bastard

Sources: MacBook Pro myself...

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I don't know if that fan will cause any issues.
If you have a mat of dust blocking the MacBooks fan exit it won't matter since the hot air has no where to go. What model MacBook do you have? Have you opened it up and removed the fans to properly clean them? That would be my recommendation. Very easy to do and ifixit.com has a lot of good guides on how to get into the MacBook.

If you do this and it is still running above 90 then you might need new thermal paste on the processor.

harryoui

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
I wouldn't be anywhere near worried about the fan's electromagnetic fields damaging your laptop. The most vulnerable part of your computer would be the Hard Drive (I think) but they'd still be no problem whatsoever. I have an old desktop server with the power supply connected to the case by a huge magnet because it wouldn't fit otherwise. No such problems so far ;)

Shouldn't really create any static discharge that could damage your laptop, especially from outside.

You probably would be well off unscrewing the back of your laptop and just spraying the insides with an air compressor to remove some dust; because dust kind of insulates and blocks air flow, creating a lot of heat.

Good luck ya crazy bastard

Sources: MacBook Pro myself, old desktop server that's been run for quite a long time

Solution