Using combo jack splitter cuts off mic.

Mar 17, 2018
My laptop has single combo jack. I want to add an extension speaker. I bought a splitter adapter which splits the jack into mic and headphone/speaker but of course the laptop mic gets disabled. How can I get audio out without cutting off laptop mic?

Solution
That is because you are trying to split a 3.5mm port. Almost never goes the way you want it to. Even when they say they are input/output they often won't work that way. Alas, not much you can do to fix it without replacing the port, which again, may not work.

The simplest fix, would be to either change the settings in "Control Panel", if it will work, or to connect through a USB port.

To make the change in "Control Panel" you need to go there and then click on "Sound". In there click on the "Recording" tab and then right click on the laptop's microphone. Select to make it the "Default" one being used. NOTE: You need to do this while the items you are trying to use are connected to the laptop. If it doesn't work, then the following...
That is because you are trying to split a 3.5mm port. Almost never goes the way you want it to. Even when they say they are input/output they often won't work that way. Alas, not much you can do to fix it without replacing the port, which again, may not work.

The simplest fix, would be to either change the settings in "Control Panel", if it will work, or to connect through a USB port.

To make the change in "Control Panel" you need to go there and then click on "Sound". In there click on the "Recording" tab and then right click on the laptop's microphone. Select to make it the "Default" one being used. NOTE: You need to do this while the items you are trying to use are connected to the laptop. If it doesn't work, then the following will allow you to make the changes you want.

If you get a dual port USB to 3.5mm one, it should allow you to plug in the headphones/speakers alone, leaving the other port not used and allow you to use the laptops microphone.

Kind of like this one... https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Splitter-Adapter-Headphone-AU-2X35/dp/B015OCQJ7Q

Solution