Using JBL E100 as a sub woofer

Bruce_42

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
I have a JBL E100 series speaker where the mid and tweeters are blown, but the 2 big speakers are still good. I want to use it as a sub woofer, but have no idea how? I have a Onkyo TX-NR646 AV receiver I trying to hook to with only 2 subwoofer pre outs. The manual states the need for a pre amp for passive speakers, so I assume this output needs a preamp for what I'm trying to do? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Solution
You don't need to use both subwoofer outputs as they are identical. You need a single channel amp with specs as Kenton82 suggests. It doesn't need to be a "subwoofer amp" since your receiver is handling the crossover frequency (how high up in the bass the subwoofer plays) and the level (how loud it plays compared to your front speakers).
If you have any old stereo receiver, integrated or basic amp available you can use that.
Yes, the 'line level output' will require an amplifier. If you wish to use both speakers, then both line outputs from the A/V would need to go into another amp, via an RCA line in (L & R), and the speakers connected to the speaker outputs on said amp. As you are using just one speaker, you would need a bridgeable amp, so you can combine two channels into one. You need to get a half decent amp (loads on ebay second hand) Remember to get one that is rated correctly for the speakers, 8 Ohms and around the 80-100w RMS range seeing as you have lost the tweeters and midrange, you don't need quite as much power as before. That should do you fine.

Hope this helps!

K.

You don't need to use both subwoofer outputs as they are identical. You need a single channel amp with specs as Kenton82 suggests. It doesn't need to be a "subwoofer amp" since your receiver is handling the crossover frequency (how high up in the bass the subwoofer plays) and the level (how loud it plays compared to your front speakers).
If you have any old stereo receiver, integrated or basic amp available you can use that.

Solution