Using PC Speakers with TV

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
Ok so i have pc speakers that i no longer use and would like to use them with my tv. i can't.
1. No headphone port
2. No rca port
3. PC speakers don't have optical cable
What should i do? I need to keep my hdmi on both devices
20150103_150053.jpg

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Is the end of your PC speaker cable a 3.5mm plug? If so, get yourself a 3.5mm to male RCA plug from Radio Shack or wherever and plug it onto the audio outputs next to your component video connection.

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

read above

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

That's exactly what I was suggesting. Seems odd it wouldn't work. Try turning off the set's sound. That should be an option. Also, if you've not already tried it, unplug your HDMIs and then try it again and see if it's something with the digital signal not wanting to be passed over anything but optical. If it still doesn't work, I'm sad to say that I'm out of ideas.

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

yep, nothing i am doing is working. The only options to output sound is from the tv or optical. Tried removing hdmi and putting back in, no success,

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I can't read what the panel says specifically as it relates to the analog RCAs seeing as this is an angled shot rather than face on. Those audio RCAs should be for sound out since component is a video only connection. So, he either uses the set's sound, passes it out analog via the RCAs, or uses the optical. Those are the only options.

@ DT: What model of LG is it?

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

I have to use hdmi, because i need the sound for both my ps3 and my android tv box
the tv is an LG 32LN5400

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
It's quite chance that I'm encountering this thread seeing as I'm in a similar situation. I've got an older Panasonic 50" plasma with similar outputs. I'll have to have a go at it and see if I can get mine to work. If I do, I'll let you know for sure. I use HDMIs for my BD, cable, and 360. I won't be able to touch it until Monday, however.

DTonesXD

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

post back if you have a solution upon trying. Thanks,

Could it be power related maybe? The speakers i have are usb powered so i plugged them into the tv, not into an adaptor

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Oh, that makes a huge difference. Seeing as there's no power beyond the USB plug, this likely won't work. My Altec Lansing 2.1 setup is actually using AC power via a grounded plug. It also came with a plug like what you bought (and I can't find - damn it).

If I'd only known about the USB thing from the beginning... :-/

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

yeah... that would be your problem

notechgranpa

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

The Logitech PC speakers I purchased for this same purpose came with a 3.5mm male, and two ports on once of the speakers. My tv did not have a headphone jack, so I had to purchase an adapter with red,white to plug into the tv audio out, and a 3.5mm male on the other end, which I plugged into the holes on the speaker. When I plugged into the headphone jack on the speaker - nothing. The other hole has a musical symbol, which I believe indicates it is for an mp3 player, or whatever. When I plugged the male from the adapter into that hole - WOW! The sound is fantastic. I don't know how a sound bar could produce a better quality sound. The sales people at Best Buy were very helpful with this.