Using Phone While Driving Makes You Old and Drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
What I note from personal experience is that talking on the cell phone gives you a kind of tunnel vision. While not scientific, I feel that I spend more "brain power" trying concentrate and understand what the person on the cell phone is saying due to lower voice quality.
This is clearly not the case with having a conversation with someone sitting in the car. I don't feel any distracting trying to understand what someone riding with me is saying.

G

So if talking on a mobile phone while driving decreases reaction time to that of a senior citizen, and drivers using mobile phones are as impaired as drunks... that must mean senior citizens drive drunk (which seems plausible). Guess we should take away their keys when we give them senior benefits, for the sake of public safety of course.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I know exactly what you mean rsud. The noise of the road and the crappy sound quality of 95% of cellphones manufactured today puts you in a state where you must concentrate very hard to understand the person on the other end.

I actually noticed that the right away the first few times I had a conversation on my cell while driving, so I got into the habbit of just answering to let the person know I could not talk to them at that time.

Maybe if they came up with a high quality phone system for your car that was superior than your average quality handset + bluetooth combination, the distraction factor could be reduced to something manageable.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i was about to say the same thing, i felt i need more concentration doing those things at the same time though its easier to talk on a long and open road.

Status
Not open for further replies.