Utilizing my old Onkyo speakers

MooreGiants

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
I had an Onkyo HT-S6200 surround sound system. I have since replaced my receiver with an Onkyo TX-NR828 and am replacing my front three speakers with Polk RTI A3 and a center channel A4. I am going to keep the original speakers for my surround speakers but I was wondering if I should use my front 2 or maybe 3 speakers to replace some of my surround speakers. Can anyone give me guidance here?

Solution
I have always read that the BEST solution is the same brand of speaker (or if possible the same speaker) all around. That way the tone won't change as a sound moves between speakers. But that isn't easy to do ... so ...
If your old front channel speakers more closely match the frequency range of the new fronts then I would say try them and see. Only YOUR ears can tell if they work for you or not.

kanewolf

Judicious
I have always read that the BEST solution is the same brand of speaker (or if possible the same speaker) all around. That way the tone won't change as a sound moves between speakers. But that isn't easy to do ... so ...
If your old front channel speakers more closely match the frequency range of the new fronts then I would say try them and see. Only YOUR ears can tell if they work for you or not.

Solution