Value of 5060

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
not have the lifetime subscription.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

In article <lND8e.72664$QB6.3339609@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote:

> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.

$200.

If you don't want it, I'll take it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

mcp6453 wrote:

> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.

It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig. They go about $200-250. If the
unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
side.

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:lND8e.72664$QB6.3339609@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
> not have the lifetime subscription.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Joseph Wind wrote:

> going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
> side.
>

Which eBay? eBay France???

In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.
 

One

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2003
23
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:09:37 GMT, mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
>not have the lifetime subscription.

I would say, if it's like new, you should pay no more than $150
without lifetime subscription. That is tops.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Dude, what's your problem? I picked up a 5040, with no activation for $79
plus $20 shipping a few months back on eBay. It was listed as a 5504, but
it turned out to be a 5040 when I opened the box, no complaint from me. :)
The guy had copied a similar ad and forgot to change the description. There
seem to be more ReplayTVs offered before Christmas than there are now.
Supplies must be getting short. Sort of reminds me of the DTV H cards.

Funny you say, France. I was in Asia recently and saw a couple Tivos in a
Surplus Outlet that gets stuff from the States regularly. I was thinking to
myself, "What the heck are they selling Tivos here?", one heck of LD call.
They wanted the equivalent of $100 for it.

BTW got any dead 3Ks? LOL ;-)


"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:B92dnQgBVvdO3f7fRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> Joseph Wind wrote:
>
> > going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
> > side.
> >
>
> Which eBay? eBay France???
>
> In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
> year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
> would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.
 

Sam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
174
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:49:31 GMT, "Joseph Wind" <jpg@gif.com> wrote:

>Dude, what's your problem? I picked up a 5040, with no activation for $79
>plus $20 shipping a few months back on eBay. It was listed as a 5504, but
>it turned out to be a 5040 when I opened the box, no complaint from me. :)
>The guy had copied a similar ad and forgot to change the description. There
>seem to be more ReplayTVs offered before Christmas than there are now.
>Supplies must be getting short. Sort of reminds me of the DTV H cards.
>

I have a couple of those. Also about 13 HU cards (all still work).

>Funny you say, France. I was in Asia recently and saw a couple Tivos in a
>Surplus Outlet that gets stuff from the States regularly. I was thinking to
>myself, "What the heck are they selling Tivos here?", one heck of LD call.
>They wanted the equivalent of $100 for it.
>

Internet connection? Maybe TiVo has something like WiRNS for guides.

>BTW got any dead 3Ks? LOL ;-)

I've got the ghost of a Showstopper :)

>
>
>"Tony D" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:B92dnQgBVvdO3f7fRVn-jg@comcast.com...
>> Joseph Wind wrote:
>>
>> > going rate on eBay for a 5040 is about $120, and even that's on the high
>> > side.
>> >
>>
>> Which eBay? eBay France???
>>
>> In looking at completed auctions, the cheapest I saw was for a 5040 a
>> year or 2 old for $140. Most refurbs, etc, hover around $165. The 5060
>> would be worth more, and it is almost certainly a 5080.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It does
>> not have the lifetime subscription.
>
>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can run
>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.

I just did that to my 5060.

>They go about $200-250. If the
>unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 

Steph

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
148
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>mcp6453 wrote:
>>
>>> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It
does
>>> not have the lifetime subscription.
>>
>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can
run
>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>
> I just did that to my 5060.
>
>>They go about $200-250. If the
>>unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.
>

I personally never saw any 5060's advertised anyplace except Costco.
The 5060's at Costco were indeed 80GB drives formatted for 60.

Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:24:07 GMT, Steph
<CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:11:32 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>mcp6453 wrote:
>>>
>>>> How much should I pay for a 5060 that was used for one month? It
>does
>>>> not have the lifetime subscription.
>>>
>>>It is probably a 5080. The 5060s were very few before they were fitted
>>>with 80gig drives. They are still partitioned as 60gig, but you can
>run
>>>RTVPatch to bring it to the full 80gig.
>>
>> I just did that to my 5060.
>>
>>>They go about $200-250. If the
>>>unit was brand new and used 1 month, probably more.
>>
>
>I personally never saw any 5060's advertised anyplace except Costco.
>The 5060's at Costco were indeed 80GB drives formatted for 60.
>

My 5060 was ordered from amazon.com, and contained the same drive
model as my 5080 (from Circuit City).

>Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
transfer the lifetime activation.

Regards,

Margaret

"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>
> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
>
 

One

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2003
23
0
18,560
0
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>transfer the lifetime activation.
>
>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>
>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>>
>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
>>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:42:26 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:

>You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
>ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.

This gets back to that flash chip doesn't it? If they are the same
hardware wise and only have the chip to identify them you could swap
the chip and the drive and effectivey swap the ID. In fact you could
just load a clean imaged drive as long as the flash is still good.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

one@atime.com wrote:
> You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
> ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.
>
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>

Wrong. You can transfer lifetime from ANY Replay branded unit,even a 5
yr old 3K.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV.

I always consider that a sort of lying. The price you pay would be
$129 and that's the one that should be advertised.

> You can buy one from
>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>transfer the lifetime activation.
>

I could use that extra remote.

>Regards,
>
>Margaret
>
>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>>
>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
>>
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:42:26 -0400, one@atime.com wrote:

>You would have to get another RTV5040, not the RTV5504.
>ReplayTV will only transfer lifetime to exact same replay model.
>

That would make that (the ability to transfer activation) rather
useless.

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
><twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>>That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV. You can buy one from
>>Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20 bucks.
>>I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and remote ... and
>>to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and ReplayTV lets me
>>transfer the lifetime activation.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Margaret
>>
>>"Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>>news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
>>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>>>
>>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA) listed
>>> a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that? Nope.
>>>
>>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

"Sam" <big@black.dog> wrote in message
news:r3t761hpeovtrmdho2r9n5bj13i4nvocic@4ax.com...

>
> Internet connection? Maybe TiVo has something like WiRNS for guides.
>

It was one of the early units, 30 hr, I think. Who knows? The shop
probably did not know what it was.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Most ads do say "after rebate" so it's not lying and it is your final
cost if you apply for the rebate. I've found that over the last year or
so the rebates have become far more reliable and I've gotten every one
I've applied for. One purchase I made at CompUSA netted me $450 in
rebates. As rebates get larger, I wonder if the IRS is going to look at
those. If you buy a $1500 PC bundle under your company name you can
write it off meaning there's no tax on the $1500. When you get the $450
rebate sent to you in your own name you get it tax free.

From:Mark Lloyd
mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>
>> That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV.
>
> I always consider that a sort of lying. The price you pay would be
> $129 and that's the one that should be advertised.
>
>> You can buy one from
>> Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20
>> bucks. I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and
>> remote ... and to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and
>> ReplayTV lets me transfer the lifetime activation.
>>
>
> I could use that extra remote.
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>> "Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>> news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
>>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>>>
>>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA)
>>> listed a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that?
>>> Nope.
>>>
>>
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
> created and still runs this old universe is so
> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
> still fall for that scam."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:41:48 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>Most ads do say "after rebate" so it's not lying and it is your final
>cost if you apply for the rebate.

While not teclnically lying, it's EFFECTIVELY lying. Particularly when
you want to know how much you're paying for that thing.

Also, they're MUCH TOO SLOW with rebates. I once bought a Replay
(offerring a $100 rebate). It was shipped and arrived here in 3 days.
I sent in the material required for the rebate. It took more than 3
MONTHS.

> I've found that over the last year or
>so the rebates have become far more reliable and I've gotten every one
>I've applied for. One purchase I made at CompUSA netted me $450 in
>rebates. As rebates get larger, I wonder if the IRS is going to look at
>those. If you buy a $1500 PC bundle under your company name you can
>write it off meaning there's no tax on the $1500. When you get the $450
>rebate sent to you in your own name you get it tax free.
>
>From:Mark Lloyd
>mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx
>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:50:55 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
>> <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That $79 is *after* the $50 rebate from ReplayTV.
>>
>> I always consider that a sort of lying. The price you pay would be
>> $129 and that's the one that should be advertised.
>>
>>> You can buy one from
>>> Amazon.Com for ~$99 *before* rebate and save yourself another $20
>>> bucks. I'm thinking of getting one just for the spare hard disk and
>>> remote ... and to have one handy in case one of my two 5040s die and
>>> ReplayTV lets me transfer the lifetime activation.
>>>
>>
>> I could use that extra remote.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Margaret
>>>
>>> "Steph" <CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns963C8855013ACskipatroluunet@66.75.43.157...
>>>> Mark Lloyd <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in
>>>> news:3et761dnfbjstdan7sl8gaqserbv2h5eoc@4ax.com:
>>>>
>>>> Fwiw, the Sunday circulars (maybe it was Circuit City or CompUSA)
>>>> listed a 5504 for $79. Would I buy one used for more than that?
>>>> Nope.
>>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Lloyd
>> has a Replay 5xxx
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>>
>> "The idea that there is an invisible being who
>> created and still runs this old universe is so
>> childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
>> believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
>> still fall for that scam."
>

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The idea that there is an invisible being who
created and still runs this old universe is so
childish, so obviously contrived, that it is hard to
believe anyone with even a modicum of education can
still fall for that scam."
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY