Valve: Apple Changing Console Market With New Device

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cognoscentiable

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
"Gabe Newell thinks that Apple may revolutionize the living room aspect of the gaming industry with a new product."

Of course they will and all the tech buff zombies will praise them for it.. all the Apple fans will buy the product even if they don't really want it, because it's the latest Apple fad.

Even though the revolution in our living room took place decades ago with the likes of Atari and Nintendo. But it's Apple, they have the power to re-write history, silly me.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The single purpose gaming console is already dead. All current gaming consoles can stream Netflix movies, browse the web and do other stuff.

It's hard to predict what Apple is planning, but it might just be a more powerful version of AppleTV with games, apps, etc.

"The future" is a single box under your TV that does everything: movies, music, games, youtube, apps, etc. and gets all it's content from the internets.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lol looks like someone at Apple notices our "can it play Crysis?" comments.

Not that iConsole will still ever play Crysis...or even Halo CE for that matter. Apple doesn't like Spartans, I'ms sure. :D

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I think if Microsoft were to take their next version of XBOX and incorporate a Virtual machine into the system . Allow you to run windows, linux,and other OS's from the Virtual Machine. They could really change the PC market. Add true wireless keyboard and mouse support.
They would not only control the 10 foot living room space... but the desktop as well.
Imagine using the xbox as your pc.. and getting the benefits of both xbox and pc.
I'm kinda suprised MS didnt do this already.. they have all of the tools to make this work and to make it very popular.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I'm sure Apple can re-write history and make a bazillion people forget how they were not the first ones yet get praised as they were. This little something called an iPod re-wrote history and made people forget how Sony had the Walkman before it and now nobody buys a Sony Walkman. Apple has done it, been there done that.

lazygordon

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]squidz66[/nom]Mouse = Gaming. How long will it take for these Judas's to realize that?[/citation]

Whenever I hear about people playing "Games" with mice, it never seems to end well for the mouse...

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The single purpose gaming console is already dead. All current gaming consoles can stream Netflix movies, browse the web and do other stuff.It's hard to predict what Apple is planning, but it might just be a more powerful version of AppleTV with games, apps, etc."The future" is a single box under your TV that does everything: movies, music, games, youtube, apps, etc. and gets all it's content from the internets.[/citation]

Close. "The future" is the TV itself that does everything. The smart TVs of today already do everything you mentioned and they'll only get better and better.

There were rumors of an Apple TV and it seems to make more and more sense. As soon as gaming gets more sophisticated, all the iSheep will flock to the iTV.

[citation][nom]squidz66[/nom]Mouse = Gaming. How long will it take for these Judas's to realize that?[/citation]

I agree that the mouse and keyboard is superior for FPSs and most genres of games for that matter but not all games (racing, for instance)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I agree completely.[/citation]

thanks for the agreement , really wanted to say this stuff after going over all those news articles about how great the man was , was was abit concerned it was still toon after his death. I think it is sad , that the human race often idolizes , politicans , war mongers , and greedy buisnessmen there are much better role models than these sorry lot of humans that we do idolize.

G

the new ipipin requires an internet connection to play, can only emulate iphone apps. running cost is $850

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Wait so he's claiming that Apple is going to revolutionize this arena but is complaining because Microsoft is too closed off with the Xbox? What does he think Apple is going to do?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]anony2004[/nom]Everything aside, what about Half Life Valve? Dammit...[/citation]

Seriously WTF!!! Where is Half Life 3!!!!!!!

Watch it will be an exclusive on the new Apple gaming console :)

He either knows something the general public does not, or he's smoking crack. Apple has NEVER embraced true gaming. How on earth could they come on the scene and take over? Not going to happen..

G

He's stirring the pot, so to speak. He's attempting to influence key people into having conversations they may not have otherwise had.

If gaming really all goes to Hell, I'll start hitting the flea markets and load up on original NES titles. Super Mario Bros. alone won't get me through it, and my light gun won't work with a Smart TV, so Duck Hunt is out.

Apple probably looks at Smart TVs basically running Android and providing all kinds of services and apps directly on the television, and is hurting to not have it all for themselves. I don't use a lot of features, but there's internet-on-demand type shows that are basically microtransactions for working out, etc. Somebody must be buying it if its there in the first place.

The Smart TV as it stands now, could run a Steam app and handle the Store aspect, picture slideshows/videos of the products, and social side. Probably everything except the actual playing of games.

Apple's missing revenue from markets its not in yet. Valve wants more companies, like Apple, in every market so they can capitalize on the increased exposure to the public, and find more customers... and Apple customers have plenty of money to burn.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't see Apple jumping into consoles. I'm sure Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave. Apple already jumped into consoles with the Pippin, and it failed. The console market is just too fickle, and they'd have to be willing to invest a ton of money and patience like Microsoft did. Only way I could see them being successful is if they came up with something new like Nintendo did with the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.