Valve: Apple Changing Console Market With New Device

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayvus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
That's one way to look at what Gabe Said, but I prefer this method of how he said it.

http://www.dailytech.com/Valve+Hates+On+Apple+at+Conference/article23001.htm

"They build a shiny sparkling thing that attracts users and then they control people's access to those things"

Here's your quote from your article

"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," he said.

He is the whole thing of what he said

http://www.dailytech.com/Valve+Hates+On+Apple+at+Conference/article23001.htm

"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear. I'm worried that the things that traditionally have been the source of a lot of innovation are going - there's going to be an attempt to close those off so somebody will say 'I'm tired of competing with Google, I'm tired of competing with Facebook, I'll apply a console model and exclude the competitors I don't like from my world."

"I consider Apple to be very closed. Let's say you have a book business and you are charging 5 to 7 percent gross margins. You can't exist in an Apple world because they want 30 percent and they don't care that you only have 7 percent to play with."

pirtnac

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Sadly, yes... but why did Jobs hate gaming? Is it mentioned anywhere?[/citation]

I grew up during the original apple computer releases. They worked extremely well comparing, 1984 tech to 1984 tech. Competitors however called them expensive toys, only good for games. Apple's reaction was to make it as difficult as possible to get a game on a Mac, and they kept at it for a long time. At the point where apple had a hardware edge (16 khz or better stereo sound standard, greyscale higher resolution screens compared to green monochrome, better processor and use of resources) they fought game developers to keep their image as a workstation. Meanwhile PCs on DOS and later windows laughed all the way to the bank as they sold equipment based on games available at the time.

Even far later as 3D capable graphics cards hit the market, apple delayed support for software and made certain hardware wasn't compatible unless specifically made for a mac. One had to wait till around 2000 with the all in one iMac (re)launch to see 3D capable macs standard, with software support. By then, PCs had over 15 years lead.

G

Gabe,

Think before you talk. Give us Source Engine 2.0. Give us L4D3. Give us Portal 3. Give us more Alien Swarm Campaigns.

OK-Thanks-Bye,
Mark

P.S.
"Hurry Freeman, get from [Point A] to [Point B] is not a story-line."

P.P.S.
The original survivors are much better than the new ones . . . just saying . . .

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I was wondering when Gabe would chime in for the week with an opinion that is based off of zero factual information. Here's some problems with it.

First of all, Apple already has a living room product, the Apple TV, that was supposed to shake up the gaming industry. It hasn't happened. People aren't as satisfied with App gaming in the living room as they are on a small phone screen. Secondly, Apple does not have the kind of developers behind them that the consoles do, and many of the old school console publishers show zero interest in changing that. Next, when coming to the console sector, Apple competes with Nintendo. Nintendo has similar advantages that Apple usually depends on like a dedicated fanbase and serious control over their product. Nintendo has done well in the console industry even before Gabe ever stuck his finger in the pie with a "closed" approach and heavy licensing. Apple really just can't swing it's weight around in console gaming like it can in mobile gaming and expect people to blindly follow.

Every time Gabe says anything it just seems to prove to me he doesn't really have the knowledge or facts to comment on anything.

a_wal

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Well, in my living room I have a media PC that runs mediaportal with streamed MP skin, and also launches a program called gameex. Everyone that sees how simple to use it is loves it and all that it does, I have WII, Gamecube, high end PC (many of which use a 360 controller and are basically 360 games), all old consoles, web browsing and netflix both without need for keyboard, series, movies, radio, and tv with recording, all in a simplified interface that works reliably. It is indeed awesome, but the ammount of configuration that it took to get it to this point was staggering. If Apple could be the first to create something similar that needs no configuration, and has a very simple interface It would change the industry. But how would they manage the licensing of any of that with existing games, all new games would need to be created, game development is what makes or breaks a system.
Also, just like Ipad, if apple creates an innovative product, everyone can copy the idea, and in a years time we will have better alternatives to apples closed system.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Gabe is opposed to closed enviroments? Yet he leads a company that revolutionized pc gaming by walling off games from the evil secondary market and creating a system (steamworks) that is able to lock people out of a game until that game is released in that region. Talking about the pot calling the kettle balck!

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
That's hilarious. PC gamers are a pretty intelligent lot, and as such will run screaming away from anything labeled or owned by Apple.

Sorry, reality is a bitch.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
So, first-,
"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," he said.

Then-
He went on to rant about Apple's "very closed" system. "Let's say you have a book business and you are charging 5 to 7 percent gross margins," Newell added. "You can't exist in an Apple world because they want 30-percent and they don't care that you only have 7-percent to play with."

....ok, how does he get Apple changing the console market for the better (non-closed platform) from that?

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]"I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," I suspect newell is smoking some serious hardcore meth and crack !seriously , Apple ? granted ipussy toys are popular. I just don't see apple making any leaps of change in video games , They have always been in the back of the track when it comes to games not at the forefront. and yes i am biased , am i a fanboy? no, do i hate apple though , most definitely. I do like PC , and i do like consoles. and i'l probably get all kinds of thumbs down from waht i'm going to say next , I did hate steve jobs as well as apple , it disgust me that teh prick upa nd dies and every news outlet otu there acts like he was some freaking genius or like he invented the pc by himself. HE WAS A BUISNESS man nothing more he was good at pushing a PR campiagn to rival any asshole we put in office (in the US) in the last 100 years. doesn't mean he ever really invented any thing new or unthought off. he was a self promoting smug bastard, that some how religiously beleived his shit smelled better than every other smug self promoting buisness man in the world. Now that he is dead i hope Apple follows suit. I sure as hell don't want to see a world where these assholes control the gaming market. the fact that valve places so much faith in apple kind of upsets me a little in regards to valve.[/citation]

Fortunately it'll never happen Demon. Windows gamers would demolish all Mac gamers, period, since those morons can't even do math, much less plan strategy or execute and kind of operations at all! So iPussies would have their closed-match games with only other iPansies, and we won't even notice their existence. Hey, let 'em all rot in their living rooms!

I find it amusing that this "Gabe Newell" kid just randomly predicts that iSuck is going to make a console. What a turd. He works for Valve and yet he's rip-roaring to go to sell out to the iPetunia crowd. No wonder Valve hasn't produced anything good in memory!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if the hardware is not upgradeable then it's not revolutionary...i want to be able to add more ram and a different video card if i choose to do so....this is the reason why i do not own a console

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]I'm sure Apple can re-write history and make a bazillion people forget how they were not the first ones yet get praised as they were. This little something called an iPod re-wrote history and made people forget how Sony had the Walkman before it and now nobody buys a Sony Walkman. Apple has done it, been there done that.[/citation]

Yeah, except for the other 95% of the world that can't afford uCrap. Walkmans have always outsold uPods, moron. I know as an Apple fan math is obviously not your strong point, but do your best to try and think about things. No rush, take your time, or use TimeWarp to skip the next ten years and then you'll figure it out.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Cloud based living room gaming? I think that's probably where it'll get to in the next decade. Solves the problem of outdated hardware holding back graphics for PC users too :).
I can't really see Apple dipping it's toes into the gaming market in the way Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have, considering their focus on more expensive 'trendy' devices - something that gaming is not traditionally associated with. But, they've surprised before.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I dunno ...if Apple came out with some kind of gaming platform, it would be underpowered, cost too much, and you'd be playing all your games by wiggling just one finger. I'm not George Jetson, ya' know ...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tburns1[/nom]I dunno ...if Apple came out with some kind of gaming platform, it would be underpowered, cost too much, and you'd be playing all your games by wiggling just one finger. I'm not George Jetson, ya' know ...[/citation]

under powered compared to?
they already have people paying 800$+ for a phone, granted on contract its "cheaper", but they convinced people the need to upgrade every 2 years... they could effectivly upgrade the console every 2 years and stop supporting old ones after 6.
if they locked the os completely, they could just sell a computer, at a lower than normal (normal apple) price, and still be more powerful than competition.

look at pc gameing, you have to make a game work on 2 different card companies, and several variations on each of those cards, and each card from a different manufacture with different clock rates.

what they would have to do for a fast moving apple console would just keep up with 3 hardware configurations, and that is not ASKING TO MUCH, as i have been told that in the past when i brought up a modular console idea.

and to really sell this to people, they could even undercut the console a bit, as in sell it at a small loss, make it have built in dvr functionality, and sell a subscription to that, i mean how many people have a crappy dvr given to them by cable? what if that dvr could play games at a higher than console quality?

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]austinwillis81[/nom]kinda off topic but what is the reason for macs not supporting most pc games?[/citation]
PC games are really Windows Games, since hardwarewise a mac is a pc, the hardware similarities are far too close to really call them different. The main difference is OSX which quite simply isn't Windows. Bottom line it's all about DirectX. Hardware level 3d acceleration doesn't work well in virtualized environments either so, as long as games are written for MS's DX APIs, they will always run better on Windows.

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]PC games are really Windows Games, since hardwarewise a mac is a pc, the hardware similarities are far too close to really call them different. The main difference is OSX which quite simply isn't Windows. Bottom line it's all about DirectX. Hardware level 3d acceleration doesn't work well in virtualized environments either so, as long as games are written for MS's DX APIs, they will always run better on Windows.[/citation]

While I see your reasoning, it's backwards. PC = Personal Computer. All Macs are PCs, since they don't make any non-personal computers at all. When you think of Macs as NOT PCs, then you have succumbed to Apple's marketing campaign.

Not all Windows computers are PCs, however. High-end 3D workstations for example: Apple doesn't make anything close to an Apexx 4 or 8, much less anything you couldn't build a better version of yourself, for much cheaper.

But the hardware similarities between Windows PCs and Mac PCs are not close at all! They couldn't be more different, unless you specifically matched all the Windows PC parts to fit the Mac PC Parts. Oh, I know Mac rebrands Intel chips as their own and acts like they designed them, that's not my point. My point is with a Mac you have no choice - they choose your hardware for you.

It won't matter what Apple does, if they ever do anything new for gaming, which I highly doubt. They won't have a prayer in hell. They chose their gaming platform already: the iFad. If that shitty device calls out to you as gaming nirvana, go for it. But we'll never see real games on Apple "computers", because Apples aren't made to computer, just to dazzle the eyes of the uneducated, the mediocre, and the unoriginal.

They aren't made for serious anything, much less serious gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.