Valve Explains Why it Doesn't Make PS3 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
is there going to be an article about Valve explaining multi core gaming or are those pictures shown at the bottom of this article just a tease?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
'The PlayStation 3 port was outsourced as part of a decision made publisher Electronic Arts.'

'Left 4 Dead, the next retail game Valve, ...'

Learn2Type

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Ouch.

Valve: 1
PS3: 0

"I didn’t come into this business in the 90s because of some technical fetish. I came in because I wanted to give people experiences that made them have fun."

He totally just B**chslapped sony if I am not mistaken.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
PS3 got owned.
[citation][nom]soandso[/nom]Sounds to me like they are too lazy[/citation]
I don't see it as laziness, I think Valve explained the reasons why they don't mess with the Playstation 3 very clearly.

I believe it's perhaps a consequence of Sony's programming architecture not following industry standards.

iiraymoii

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
So they are not lazy because they think SONY's console is not conventional enough for them to invest in the time to make a game for said platform? In other words, "we are not willing to learn new development techniques, we hate change I want to do things how Ive been doing them for years". If Valve are so adamant about providing people with fun experiences...learn the damn PLATFORM! Making excuses because Microsoft have you in their pocket is cowardly.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It's because it doesn't make economic sense for them to invest time and effort into the PS3 when those same development hours can do much more on the XBox and PC. Even testing is more of a pain on the PS3 since it takes alot longer to burn blu rays for your testers to play than just burning DVDs or loading things off a network as the 360 dev kits now allow for.

G

actually...he just proved that the 360 and the pc are an idiots paradise.you see how does that make valve look when naughty dog/ very small company. i think before devs had more of a accomplished feel beacause they understood the hardware. developers like valve encourage other devs to just skip sonys paltform because they dont understand it...geeze.thats a slap in ms face

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Sounds like a good time to learn the ins and outs of the PS3. Then put your services up for porting whatever games a company might want to pay you for.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]andywarhall123[/nom]actually...he just proved that the 360 and the pc are an idiots paradise.you see how does that make valve look when naughty dog/ very small company. i think before devs had more of a accomplished feel beacause they understood the hardware. developers like valve encourage other devs to just skip sonys paltform because they dont understand it...geeze.thats a slap in ms face[/citation]

true, but your forgetting that naughty dog is a second-party to sony, so they likely have much closer ties to sony than a third-party would

Sony seems to not care about making half-decent development tools, the ps2 had the same problem (but it was the ps2, developers were willing to ignore it then because of the ride from ps1) and the really strange setup of the cell makes it more annoying

Does the ps3 have power? Yes, quite a lot, but that comes at the cost of making it a very hard time on the programmers to get the most out of it, even camarak said the same a long while ago

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Stupid Sony fanbois comments. Valve has made a decision as to how to best use its limited resources. IF they truly thought a Sony version would yield a large amount of $$ in return for their investment without impacting product quality I would be willing to think Valve would commit. Valve is just making a rational business decision for itself good or bad.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom] Valve is just making a rational business decision for itself good or bad.[/citation]
Indeed. Valve is one of the few companies that makes rational decisions anymore. I would rather have a great game on 2 platforms than a mediocre game on 3.

NobodyImportant

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
"I think that we've maxed out the 360 but we haven't maxed out the PS3."

That can be taken out of context. There two ways you can take that statement. 1. both platforms perform equally right now, one is maxed while the other has headroom. 2.One is outperforming the other running at peak performance but the one lagging has the headroom to catch up. In reality Id say 2 makes more sense. The ps3 doesn't perform as well as the 360, the anti aliasing is terrible, and the colors look washed in comparison. Im tired of buying games on the ps3 and being disappointed. If it weren't for the controller Id probably buy all the dual platform games on 360.

G

I am a senior developer and I can say from experience that Valve is just making excuses to cover their true objective (make lots of money). Everything has a learning curve. Some languages are better than others at some things and not at others. Writing code in HTML is damn easy. It is also very weak when compared to php or java. The PS3 has more power than the 360, the difficulty in accessing that power is a offset by the benifit it provides. If a company is truely looking to make cutting edge projects then they will overcome the learning curve and utilize the additional logic processing.

If you are simply trying to make a quick buck then you will take the easy path and code for what is tried and true for you. The risk in learning the PS3 development could pay big dividends if they were willing to take it, but it could also hurt your company if you fail. Most businesses are out to make money with tried and true. Very few are willing to push the envelope. This sounds to me like a they are simply saying we are happy milking the 360 and PC for money and we are not willing to take a risk for the possibility of making better games. I am not saying they would necessaryly make better games on the PS3, but the possibility is there and they are simply not attempting to do it because of the risk their deveopers and management will fail. I personally believe it is worth taking the risk for a possible big return, but I also don't have a problem with playing the lottery now and then.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Patrick Soderlund, Senior VP of EA Games Europe, presented a different view at E3, saying, “I do think that we'll see developers inside the organization getting to understand the PS3 better and I think that we're getting more power out of PS3 right now... I think that we've maxed out the 360 but we haven't maxed out the PS3."

Thats good, because the Need for Speed games on 360 are much smoother than PS3. Maybe now EA can squeeze enough out of the PS3 to make the same game run as good as its 360 conterpart.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
What people say about you means little; only what you say about yourself is really important.

Valve basically said they have weak programmers. As a programmer for many years, I'd NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER admit something was too difficult for me to learn. No programmer worth his salt would. I'd never admit I couldn't learn a new architecture and learn it well. It's called pride, and this man is absolutely shameless.

It would be like a boxer admitting he didn't want to fight someone, for fear of losing. Or a baseball player asking his coach to take him out of the game, because the opposing pitcher threw too hard and he couldn't hit him. This guy is absolutely shameful. Even if it's true, did he really have to admit it, and make people sick? He could say how difficult the PS3 was if they did write programs for it. Then he could say that as someone that conquered it, not out of weakness because his developers were overmatched. Ugggh. Disgusting. I don't know any programmers who would be so shameless. I don't get it.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Indeed. Valve is one of the few companies that makes rational decisions anymore. [/citation]

not counting L4D2 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.