Valve Finally Confirms Steam for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Now if only Adobe released CS for Linux, Windows would be in trouble. Not going to happen though, but maybe they'll have some on-line equivalent in a few years.

evilaaron11

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I don't think Steam for Linux will really change much of anything. Unless of course there are actually games to play. Regardless, however, the average consumer won't care to learn how to use Linux, so I doubt Windows is in any trouble at all.

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
[citation][nom]whimseh[/nom]The Windows haters here are so hilarious. :')[/citation]
I don't hate Windows. I do think that Microsoft has long abused its monopoly, and would be happy to have some more choice. I currently run my games (and VISIO) in WINE, and it can be a total pain (all productivity aside from VISIO is well covered by Linux-native software). I applaud Valves move to a native Linux client.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]evilaaron11[/nom]I don't think Steam for Linux will really change much of anything. Unless of course there are actually games to play. Regardless, however, the average consumer won't care to learn how to use Linux, so I doubt Windows is in any trouble at all.[/citation]Especially if you have to adapt the games for every major distro. Even then... what about cross platform compatibility? What about VAC? There's a lot more to keep track of now. I think they'd be better off sticking to just Mac/Windows, but it's their time and money.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]This is it. Can't wait for this to happen so i can ditch Windows. I am sick of Windows 8 and abomination of Windows in form of Metro.[/citation]
I'm sure any major change is a abomination to guys like you.

G

Take Linux Mint..

There is less to "learn how it works" than going from Windows 7 to 8.

Every single Mint installation I have done in four years is still working and the customers using it will not readily go back to windows!

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I'm sure any major change is a abomination to guys like you.[/citation]Although I agree that the hatred of Windows 8 is excessive (it's still the second best Windows I've used). I have to ask if you've used it. The tacked-on Metro thing basically is useless on a PC as it doesn't let me manage what's opened and minimized efficiently. Don't get me wrong, the interface could be great on a touch device, but it's just an annoying and cumbersome on a PC.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Oh, man. I have always "thought" of switching from windows to linux, but now I am seriously considering it.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
FINALLY, Welcome Ubuntu duel boot and eventual non Window machines for gaming. Open GL/CL and Linux runs games much better than Windows does and before you fanboys say otherwise WINE is an emulation program. Native Linux game will run wild over Windows.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
DRM and proprietary software or not Valve has my full support, now how's about HL2 episode 3. I have some fat bloated aliens to kill.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Steam runs on Linux, GREAT!!Except 99% of the games won't run on Linux, those that do are available through sources other than Steam.[/citation]
For the older ones WINE will have that covered. you just have to know your computer a little and not be a tool for MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.