Valve Responds to L4D Racism Accusations

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
When the last story came out, I didn't really know one way or the other about them making part 2 rather than continuing work on part 1. I've since bought part 1 and it definitely needs more content. I bought the game of the year edition not really knowing the difference so I guess that gave me the most content but with that comes 4 "campaigns" each lasting about 1hr and 15mins then there was online co-op for the campaigns, some retarded versus mode and then the best part, survival although there's only so much of that as well. So you get 5hrs single player plus whatever multiplayer for $40 seems like a rip-off to me. They really shouldn't be moving on to part 2 yet. Games with single and multiplayer modes should still give you at least 40hrs of single play... single player only games should be over 100hrs (fallout 3 and oblivion comes to mind)

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Valve should code a new character in the game. Make a new special that looks like Willie Jefferson. His special ability is to sit there and make a annoying whining noise...even worse than the witch. When you walk up to him he will just start whining louder. After you shoot him he sits back up and starts whining some more so you can stay right there and keep killing him over and over.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
since they are trying to price-gouge everyone

compulsionnra, do realize that price gouging is a natural occurrence so that supply & demand are in equilibrium? Probably not. YOU might wait until the game is in the $20 - $30 range, but many of the gamers out there are willing to pay $60 for it. In price gouging, the consumer gets what he/she wants, and the company has enough supply on hand to facilitate their desires. Example:

During Katrina, there was a local vendor who was "price gouging" bottled water. The news cameras caught up to him to find out he was charging $20 per bottle. The idiotic mayor ordered all businesses to stop price gouging or he would take action. So the guy who was selling water lowered his price to $1 per bottle and sold out. Then the camera crew went to a single mother of 2 who was in line to buy water from the guy but guess what - the guy sold out of water bottles. The stink of the whole thing was this woman had the $20 to pay for the water. If the bottle vendor hadn't been forced to stop price gauging, this woman would have had enough water for her family.

All I'm saying is that charging $60 for a new video game isn't price gouging. It's where the supply & demand curves meet. It's how the video game distributors have enough copies on hand for the initial launches of a game. There are gamers out there who are more passionate about L4D2 than you are and are willing to pay $60 to get it.

Don't get me wrong, I won't pay $60 for it either (I'm with you), but I understand the reasons for charging that much. And it's not as sinister as one might think.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
The origianl Pac Man had only white dots to eat, by white Pacmen. Obviously all other races and ethnicities were left out. And this is obviously discrimination and a complete failure of our government to address equal opportunity. LET'S SUE SOMEBODY!!!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
God this country has become a cesspool of cry babies. Here is a little news for ya. THERE ARE MORE BLACKS THEN WHITES IN NEW ORLEANS, JUST LIKE THERE IS IN MILWAUKEE. And more mexicans then whites and black in Elgin, IL. STop your freaking crying and do something useful in life...pathetic pathetic pathetic.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]robert17[/nom]The origianl Pac Man had only white dots to eat, by white Pacmen. Obviously all other races and ethnicities were left out. And this is obviously discrimination and a complete failure of our government to address equal opportunity. LET'S SUE SOMEBODY!!![/citation]

So not true , you forget teh ghost , they did a good job of representing allt eh red, blue , pink adn orange people ... oh wait shit they were all bad guys RACISIM !!!!!! they need to pull a forms of pac man !

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I am white and I am for one affended by this mans comments. What about the white people? Is he saying that whites don't matter? Racist bastard. LMFAO.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
OMGosh Willie, quit being racist towards zombies. Zombies are their own race. You don't want zombies coming after you now do you Willie?

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I don't think zombies are a distinct race, fracture. Their genetic code does not change when they undergo zombification. Therefore, their race does not change. What does change is their bilogical processes and chemical makeup. Oh, and their breath. Talk about putrid halitosis...

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
LOL! Damn valve for their accurate depiction of an area with a significant african american population over-run by zombies! Should they have made the black ppl immune to the virus? Should everyone, zombie and playable characters, been white?

The correct answer is: Nothing Valve could have changed about the game would have prevented this idiot from spouting his BS. It's just a replay of RE5 racism, only even dumber because this idiot apparently thinks that someone out there will agree with him.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
So does this mean that Valve is neo-Nazi fascist for letting my team of "Krauts" win a match while playing Day of Defeat?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Funniest thing is that due to the infections ways they are all a more "grey" in skin color. They have only resemblance in temrs of features (facial, hair ect) but in the end are all grey.

I think the grey people should be more up in arms about it than..... oh wait.... no grey people.....

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
As for Katrina, I feel for the people I really do but then the local and state governemnt allowed for thousands of school and city busses to go wasted instead of evacuating them they have only themselves to blame.

Look at Houston. They got hit by Rita. Did they set on their asses and stay where it hit? No. How many people died in Houston during Rita? 20 due to a accident with a oxygen tank.

Kinda makes you wounder what the New Orleans and Louisiana governement were thinking of......

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]As for Katrina, I feel for the people I really do but then the local and state governemnt allowed for thousands of school and city busses to go wasted instead of evacuating them they have only themselves to blame.Look at Houston. They got hit by Rita. Did they set on their asses and stay where it hit? No. How many people died in Houston during Rita? 20 due to a accident with a oxygen tank.Kinda makes you wounder what the New Orleans and Louisiana governement were thinking of......[/citation]
Well you kind of have your facts wrong here, but that's a whole other debate. I do agree that anyone still using Katrina as an excuse for anything at this point is just a sad individual. I live in south Louisiana and I saw first hand how both Katrina and Rita effected this region. Who cares what a video game has to say or doesn't have to say about it. Games are games, life is real (for most of us) and you can choose how much you allow one to influence the other on a personal and individual basis.

Racism in a zombie shooter? I mean, really?
Get a life Willie.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Will the discrimination of the zombie people never end? Just because they like eating brains and human flesh does not make them any different from us.

Err, wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.