Valve Responds to L4D Racism Accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Agreed. There are lots of races of zombies, all of which are being shot at in fictional towns and cities that look similar to a real-life city, just to be cool. This is just BS.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
The game is set where 2/3 of the population is African American. What do you expect?
How is that racist anyway? Wouldn't it be more racist to have the game set in New Orleans and everyone was White?

krashnicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
"One of the games that comes to mind is Left 4 Dead 2 ... Set in New Orleans, players will have to fight their way through hordes of zombies - with several of them who appear to be African-Americans"

This is just nonsense. I personally feel it would be more racist to exclude African Americans as video game characters. I understand Zombies don't exist but if they did I am sure they would not all be white.

And what the hell does Katrina have to do with Valve being racist. It was a terrible disaster that the government horrible mishandled but this is a fictional video game set in a very well known city. A city that is often associated with voodoo and magic in many fictional stories.

Willie Jefferson is trying to make connections that don't exist. Does he expect people to exclude New Orleans from all works of fiction because of Katrina. I kinda feel that Willie may be the one who is racist.

G

Ok so, in the first left4dead, thousands of white people are killed along with other races (Black police officer zombies, citizens etc etc.) And so a game set in the south (left4dead2), that yes, has a higher concentration of Black populace (Which, is not racist... they live there, lets just forbid people of a color living in a area more dominantly then another area...) its called demographics dur... And that makes it racist? So, apparently slaughtering thousands of infected white people is perfectly fine, but put another race in there... specifically in this case black... and its racist? I find it humorous that something only tends to turn into race when someone just magically decides its racist... Resident Evil 5... Set in freaking Africa... It's not like a bunch of white or Asian people live there... It's a continent dominated with Africans whose dominant skin color just so happens to be... you guess it... black... But oh no... it has to be racist because the people infected are black... I understand that some of the people in that game (this being Resident Evil 5 im talking about atm) might have been doing seedy everyday life things, but so does every other color (which has ZERO bearing on a persons character) do seedy things... argh stop with making everything racist when its not!

G

Has anyone even considered the zombie population and their feelings? I find it funny how we discuss white and black, and leave zombies out in the cold. This makes me sick. Don't you worry though, i have a feeling the leader of the FZOA (Free Zombies of America) will chime in on this any day now.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
So all the WWII Shooters must be racist for killing an infinite amount of white people... be them Nazis or not. Lets face it, we kill more white people in FPS games than black people. Valve is leveling the spread if anything;
Oh, by the way... who cares!?

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
but when it was hordes of white people in l4d it was ok. just like in gta vice city when it was a white guy shooting cops and prostitutes it was ok but in san andreas using a black character was racist. i just dont understand these people. i mean one of the characters you can use is black!!!!!!!

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]d1rka[/nom]Has anyone even considered the zombie population and their feelings? I find it funny how we discuss white and black, and leave zombies out in the cold. This makes me sick. Don't you worry though, i have a feeling the leader of the FZOA (Free Zombies of America) will chime in on this any day now.[/citation]
As a fellow zombie and member of the FZOA, I am also very upset about all the killing of my people. DAMN HUMANS!!!

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This is a perfect example of people being too touchy. As the racist thing: so if valve didnt have any african american zombies (or other races in general) then they would be racist for not having any, but when they do then they are still racist. This is simply some people being too touchy (and maybe over thinking things?). As for the katrina idea: I am sorry I am saying this but come on, there are all sorts of natural disasters that are horrible and happen all the time, and no one ever goes on about it for 4 years after the fact (I will add that I am sorry for all the people who had to go through it or lost someone) but I think its time to move on.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I find is humorous that people with certain skin colors consider themselves a different race. God, how big of an imbecile do you have to be? Perhaps people should quit worrying about skin color and....OH SHIT, SHOOT THE ZOMBIE!!!!!! /pew pew

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]turboflame[/nom]Willie Jefferson is a racist.[/citation]
Among other things less colorful.

Oh wait.

Our nation is becoming one of the most racist on earth, mainly against WHITE people not black. And people like Willie here are the ones doing it.

I thought this was the era of information, I guess not. If it was we would be able to understand that there JUST MIGHT BE BLACK PEOPLE IN THE WORLD AND THAT THEY JUST MIGHT GET INFECTED BY A PANDEMIC! \

Idiots.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
This fool says this about Valve, who created Alyx Vance to be very likable character, and even love interest to their Hero... clearly a company that's NOT racist (at least not to blacks), because zombies in a dominantly black area are represented based on the local population.

I... don't see the argument. You want to see a racist videogame? Checkout Ethnic Cleansing or White Law.

I actually dug up and read this IDIOT's full article, and its shocking to see so much ignorance strung together. Some of the outraged comment posts to the Houston Chronicle were longer than Willie's stupid rant.

I... think Willie wrote the article to try to get attention for a crappy site. That's my take. And, it will be interesting if this shameless POS will apologize to Valve for being such an asshole, shooting his mouth off with such unfounded allegations of racism.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
These small numbers of outspoken "leaders", if you will, who keep bringing up race as an issue where anyone (who isnt themselves a racist) with a brain can see it is not need to get a life. I dare say they are keeping racism alive and stronger than if they just shutup and went on with life. Maybe if they didnt look at the world through a racial filter they would see not everyone pays attention to the race characters in a videogame because THERE ARE NO RACIAL UNDERTONES!

Status
Not open for further replies.