Valve Responds to Left 4 Dead 2 Ban

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well I think there is a simple answer to this and that is to come to a compromise. Valve has already catered to Germany's strict censorship to games for example TF2 in Germany was even dumbed down with gore believe it or not.

So Valve could just give Australia whatever version Germany is going to get. Yes it will suck for them to see the blood in green and have a less gory game but at least they will still have the same gameplay. If that's not enough... well.. just try to make Australia have a even more censored version. Inconvenient but at least valve could sell the game there.

G

Ah but if Valve gave Left4Dead 2 as a new(maybe free) DLC pack or update for Left4Dead then they would not be subjected to the OFLC ratings as the game has already passed it once.

And current laws in Australia prohibit Refused Classification (RC) games to be sold from the retail level.
But no dramas on ownership of RC games.

However once a game has got a rating it can be re-evaluated (example: GTA:San Andreas scored MA15+ however the "Hot Coffee" mod made it get re-evaluated and scored Refused Classification (RC)
and was pulled from all retail shelves, but no action/enforcement was taken for the copies that were sold before the re-evaluation)

So perhaps Vlave should make a backdoor into full gore settings so that everyone in Australia can enjoy the awesomeness.

thirdshop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
[citation][nom]r1master[/nom]pcrayz - Watch you mouth.This is not "Australias" fault... It the stupid ass governing body that wont put in a 18+ rating... HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO DO THAT YOU IDIOTS ! ! ! If there isnt a rating, and is need for one... MAKE ONE !You should make generalisations like you did, makes you look ignorant.[/citation]
your government

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Although one of the Board members disagreed with the decision, the majority ruled that the game was just too violent"

lol, fantastic, one person disagrees that the game should be banned and its a majority decision. yet ONE person disagrees that we should have an R rating, and all of a sudden its a unanimous decision.
"America one way please" "Have you got anything to declare?" "Yeah, don't go to Australia"

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I guess FEAR (with rooms covered in blood) was not violent enough.[/citation]
haha, i was more along the lines of Dead Space..

clayman1982

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I love Aus, but we have some f^%ked up institutions and laws. Thank god (not that he had anything to do with it) we have the internet to get around these things.....Oh right, they're trying to censor that too. (I doubt it will actually happen)

[citation][nom]pcrayz[/nom]A baby called, it wants its cry back. Harden the fuck up Australia![/citation]

lmao - Chopper for next Prime Minister!

G

Now here's a lesson for Americans. Aussie sheeple allowed their nanny govt. to confiscate their firearms and now find themselves at the mercy of whatever draconian judgments are forced upon them. Don't worry Aussies, it's all for your own good. Trust in your govt. They know what's best for you.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]catchopper[/nom]Now here's a lesson for Americans. Aussie sheeple allowed their nanny govt. to confiscate their firearms and now find themselves at the mercy of whatever draconian judgments are forced upon them. Don't worry Aussies, it's all for your own good. Trust in your govt. They know what's best for you.[/citation]
God your type are so pathetic. What are you ACTUALLY going to do about or government taking us over besides crying/moaning about it? NOTHING. Just like all wanna-be tough guys, you'll go to work on Monday and report to your boss. You aren't willing to do anything by yourself, so you are just as bad as eveyrone else.

G

"It would be a shame if folks in Australia, or anywhere else, are unable to purchase Left 4 Dead 2 because of a ratings issue."

Yeah, ka-ching, never mind actually playing it... shows where you focus, Valve. I also hope Aus isn't on some serious anti-piracy drive, because they just opened a huge new door.

Status
Not open for further replies.