Valve Says PS3 is ''Incredibly Important''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
The Orange Box was actually pretty awesome on the 360. I played through Portal with great joy, but I still prefer keyboard and mouse. I hope they include Keyboard/mouse support for the PS3 version. Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3 had it, and it was fantastic.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I can understand why VALVe wants to make things right with PS3 gamers. EA did a pretty crappy port job. If only VALVe had the ability to bypass third party distributors for consoles they would be better off.

But still, Portal 2 will be best on the PC.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]Some of us actually play quality games on pc. And once in awhile, we get out of our tiny little box and use consoles. Get over your little elitist bull, some people enjoy consoles, if you don't, fine, don't bother commenting as you haven't actually added anything useful to the conversation.[/citation]

And this was useful? I own both a PS3 and an Xbox360, and a gaming rig. Since you failed to interpret my statement, it means people don't get to enjoy Valve games to their full potential having to play them on consoles. The community for Valve games is actually more popular in the PC world. The same can be said for adventure / sports games, I enjoy those more on consoles than I do on the PC. But to be quite honest with you, I'm in the gym 2-3 hours a day, not in some tiny little box or in front of a TV set like you all day. Feel free to add to this conversation.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]iboomer[/nom]Not to rub it in, but if you are playing on the PC, and you DON'T know what steamworks (steam) is, then maybe you need to not post about it.[/citation]

Easy there chief, my mistake. I'm well aware of Steam and use it on a regular basis but I don't believe I've seen it referred to as Steamworks. I was assuming Steamworks was just for the consoles. I do appreciate your elitist attitude though.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Jesus christ people. This is not a console vs pc article. Who gives a flying duck. Yes we all know your core i7 with a 5870 can blow the ps3 out of the water, but it's not about that and it never was. If you blow on a fps on a console, then it means you blow as a gamer because a true gamer can adapt to the game. I might PREFER FPS on a comp, but I can sure as hell aim with a controller fairly well.

When the ps3 first released, there weren't too many devolopers who wanted to design for a new system that provided a little difficulty. Now that they have devolopers with their foot in the door with the ps3, they can make improvements and provide a better experience.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I still feel sorry for XBOX and PS3 users for having to play quality games on a console.[/citation]
When it comes to first person shooters (and a few others) I agree. But I think many other games are just easier to play on a console. Fighting games like Tekken and Street Fighter are better on a console if you ask me. Otherwise you'd have to buy a gamepad for your PC and then mapp all the buttons and in the end it just seems like I pain in the A55 if you ask me.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]visa[/nom]Easy there chief, my mistake. I'm well aware of Steam and use it on a regular basis but I don't believe I've seen it referred to as Steamworks. I was assuming Steamworks was just for the consoles. I do appreciate your elitist attitude though.[/citation]

Wasn't trying to be THAT elitist. Personally I hate consoles, that is why I have 4 of them. I think that, up until the latest crop of them, they were to far behind the curve in terms of graphics, scalability, and (my personal) enjoyment factor. I still RARELY play on my 360, although I will admit to be a HALO fanboy. PEACE

G

what i meant to say..

I stopped playing the PS3 a while ago.. since my PC is sooo much better its not funny. i7 930, ATi 5870 on a 30" 1600p monitor is far superior. At least the PS3 plays blu-rays and can stream music from my pc though.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]simple11[/nom]Jesus christ people. This is not a console vs pc article. Who gives a flying duck. Yes we all know your core i7 with a 5870 can blow the ps3 out of the water, but it's not about that and it never was. If you blow on a fps on a console, then it means you blow as a gamer because a true gamer can adapt to the game. I might PREFER FPS on a comp, but I can sure as hell aim with a controller fairly well. When the ps3 first released, there weren't too many devolopers who wanted to design for a new system that provided a little difficulty. Now that they have devolopers with their foot in the door with the ps3, they can make improvements and provide a better experience.[/citation]

Sorry I only have an i5 OC'd @ 3.92 and 5870, not an i7, to kick the crap out of your PS3/360.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
How ironic that, aside from the change of stance by Valve, Microsoft's console division behaves a hell of a lot like Apple. Not too tough to tell who's getting the better end of the deal there. I'm sure no PC gamer would shed a tear if Xbox went kaput.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]I still feel sorry for XBOX and PS3 users for having to play quality games on a console.[/citation]

Thanks, but no thanks. I pitty those caught in the endless upgrade nightmare of the PC ;0

Joecitizen

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]how fat is that guy?[/citation]
Fat enough to resemble the original PS3?

Also, this PC vs Console war is kinda dumb. Yes yours or my PC make the consoles look like antiques, but seeing as the vast majority of games are made for the 360/ps3 first, then ported (badly most of the time)it kind of takes the advantage away from the PC. Sure you can play the games at higher res and fps with AA, but the models,textures and tech are usually the same so it's gonna look crappy anyway.
It's kinda like how ugly people still look ugly in HD

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
well the ps3 doesn't have a 60% fail rate and to my knowledge doesn't create radial scratches on discs. either way dual sticking sucks.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

How about feel sorry for US PC Gamers because many of the HOTTEST game titles are NOT for PC! Rendering our $300+ video cards rather useless, no?

Alan Wake: MS promoted it as a DX10 game to show off horrible Vista. 360 only... I'm glad the game is bombing.

Gears of War 2 & 3: 360 only! I enjoyed GOW-1 on my Windows system, it runs great and unlike UT3, its fun to play. grrr

So a PS3 or PS4 is in my near future.

Also with most of todays monitors using HD-res (27" and smaller are now 1920x1080) Consoles are pretty much there.

Status
Not open for further replies.