Valve Still Not Interested in the PlayStation 3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Uh, some simple arithmetic makes you sound like a moron. World of Warcraft cost $15 a month, not $20, and most people pay $10-$13 because they buy 6 month or longer passes. I'll be extra nice and assume that every one of the 11 million subscribers pays the max $15 a month and do some simple math. Plus the fact that WoW is a world of it's own and citing revenue from Wow isn't really indicative of the overall PC market. I'll let you do it anyways though just to prove how feeble your statement really is. ($15/month * 12 months) * $11,000,000(active subscribers) = $2 billion a year. Not sure how you came up with $24 billion. Okay, so let's revise my numbers. $700 million retail sales + $2 billion from WoW + $2 billion from other digital sales (extremely generous) = $4.7 billion. $21.3 billion > $4.7 billion. Try some simple math before you make yourself look like a humongous moron.[/citation]

Cool your jets asswipe. I mistyped and left out the decimal point, and I can't edit the post. But that doesn't matter as you have completely missed the point anyways. Your source of $21 Billion includes hardware and games and accessories sales. If you actually multiply the sale price of the top ten 2008 games by the number of units (I was extremely generous and assumed each of those games were $100...total sales for the games only of the top ten games for PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii is roughly 3.6 Billion.

The PC has gotten roughly 4.7 Billion (as we already determined) in sales NOT including non-mmo digital sales.

Bite me.

cenue

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Didn't developers complain the same way back when the PS2 was released, stating that the architecture was too difficult and obscure to work with? Then a few years down the line, and over 100 million units sold, nearly every game studio in existence has made at least one PS2 game. I just hope Sony decreases the price on the PS3. I don't think devaluing the system says much for the PS3 but it is what the customer wants. Once they snag one for around $300 bucks and the PS3 user base grows, Valve will have little room left for excuses. Unless they don't want my money that is.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Well the difference between the PS3 and the PS2 was that the PS2 had a very nice developers kit released for it. These tools were then re-engineered at several studios and made better. This pissed off Sony and when the PS3 came out they stated that they weren't going to do Dev Kits like they did for the PS2, because no one used them anyway. Several people I know that work in game programming talked with me about it. Apparently it pissed off a lot of programmers, because they didn't have a solid base to learn from. And saying that they are lazy or don't want to learn a new programming language, you first have to look at the fact that most programmers know several programming languages already. They don't get paid to know more languages unless it's a very esoteric one that few people know, so there is no incentive. Plus, how much brain space do you want to take up with programming commands from 10 different languages?

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
it's stupid! valve needs all three [360/ps3/pc] to earn some descent profits. focusing on only two of the three will only limit on what they can earn as profit.

this also tells you that they're lazy.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
when all the major companies said there is no longer an exclusive for a console, they are right. the reason they are right is because the 360/ps3 consoles are getting smaller and smaller in numbers [50million, and growing, wii owners as opposed to 20-25million 360/ps3 each]. if a game company only makes a game for pc/360, they just got rid of a potential of 20-25 million buyers for that software.

metal gear went multiplatform because if they only sold on the ps3, then they aren't going to earn any money. this is the reason why kojima had to go multiplatform with the 360.

what valve is doing is bad because they're assuming the ps3 owners aren't worth the time. this means they don't care about you as the consumer, which gives money to the company, but rather only what they want to do to squeeze easy money from you.

the industry has gotten really bad. there are currently two companies that are acting this way, activision and valve, and more may be coming. if more and more companies start behaving this way, gaming will become an industry, not a culture. this means gaming will only do things that the companies want and not satisfying the consumer. if this happens, it can only be blamed on the hardcore.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]And if your name is EA developing and publishing any old crap is good enough just so long as it makes a quick buck *points at the PS3 port of the Orange Box*. It's good to see there are developers out there who can see past their profit margins and stake their reputation on quaility products.[/citation]
This is only because value does well. You bet your ass valve would port to ps3 if they were getting hit hard by recession and pirating. It's easy to be all high and mighty when you are on the throne.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thats OK valve, stay in bed with MS and be their bitch. I don't want your crap and plenty of developers will fill your shoes on the PS3. I am mainly a PC gamer and won't touch your crap Valve, such as Left4Dead. Why should I have to activate my game online and install the steam client to play a offline game. Take your DRM and shove it alongside online activation and install limits with some SecuRom games.
Plenty of others to fill your shoes, Bioware, Bethesda, id Software and many others.
Yup I know these publishers have DRM, aka Mass effect, boycott. Bioware learned, Dragon Age is Disk check only.
Fallout 3 has SecuRom but it is not set to draconion level, aka online activation and no install limit set.
Everything from Valve is controlled through online, not this gamer, boycott Valve here.

homerhellboy223

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
We pc users have been abused in regards to the halo franchise. Heck, I don't even play halo anymore because of how we've been cheated. I'm glad to hear we are not the only ones.

G

Haha.. U guyz r amazingly phunny :)

First of all, you're comparing total console & console games sales(both hardware AND games) VS PC games only? ..and sure - there is "no" other market than U.S. - I'm pretty sure that guys at Valve or EA know how to take that into account.. They obviously know how to make a lot of money so maybe u guys should about that before u post anything else..

Oh I forgot -
"That simply means they cant work with GCC type of compilers and Pure C and Assembler very well.
All they can do is using pre-build libraries. that also means they can't code on their own, which also means they cant code for shit."
- Yeah, sure. And I think their cumulative IQ is about 80, they have 'bout 200 programmers and each one knows only one command for C#, but combined they're surely worth as half-decent programmer.. :)) /sarcasm+35

ma obaveeznooo :)

p.s. I'm not very good at speaking English - don't patronize me.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
PC eats every consolegame. Logitech developed the Dualshock-controller btw, try www.logitech.com or an X-box 360 controller on the PC. Better graphics, better sound, smoother framerates, overclocking capabilities when funds are low, cheaper games (by far), always backwards compatible, faster loadtimes, wider hardware support.

When will console-fans wake up and smell defeat?
"FSP-games pwn on teh xbawx" They most certainly do not, ever heard of spending more than 15$ on a mouse and keyboard?
"PC's are expensive to keep up to date", Well I do it for ca. 300$ a year - that buys you????? how many games for your outdated console???
"You can't play pc games on your HD-TV" ......just shoot yourself already - even my mom knows what a DVI-HDMI cable is..

.....and so forth!

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Unfortunately I can't browse to wowwiki right now, but I do believe the vast majority of the 11.5 million or so WoW players are Chinese. They do not pay a monthly subscription fee. They pay per hour of gameplay time. They buy it in blocks usually to get a discount. Also Blizzard get's only a cut of this as a licensing fee. Korean subscribers pay in a similar fashion. So it is not 11,500,000 X $15/month by any means. Only the players on the US/Oceanic/EU servers pay in this manner I believe. Almost all Asian players do more of a pay as you go scheme which mostly works out to be cheaper on a monthly basis than what the rest of the world pays. WoW still brings in plenty of money don't get me wrong, and Blizzard gets a good chunk of it, but it isn't as high as many of you are making it out to be.

And I'm sure someone could do the math and remove the console sales out of the $24 billion figure floating around in the forum to end the whole hardware+software sales crap. And I'm guessing even with PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS/PS2 sales removed, it would be higher than PC sales+digital download ests.

Plus to be fair you should only calculate US WoW subscribers and leave out the rest of the world anyway. Aren't all the console numbers being taked about US only? Anyway throw in US WoW subscribers and I'm still guessing PC software sales don't top console sales. Include XBox Live subscriptions for consoles by the way, if you are counting PC software subscriptions you might as well count XBox Live. Anyone have estimates for XBox Live/PSN/Wii Marketplace downloaded game sales? Throw that in favor of consoles too.

I only own a PS3 of the latest generation, and use it more to watch Blu-Rays than play games. I love Steam and have bought quite a few games from it, however I play so much WoW that I don't play them much!;)

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]thats ok, I'm still not interested in playing a good fps on a console[/citation]

fps on a console is casual, that is to say the game has been dumbed down.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I think that it is safe to say that the majority of PS3 owners own a gaming PC(seems to be the consensus here and everyone I know with the PS3 has a gaming PC). The PS3 is difficult to code for, and would require programmers to train to code it or hire new programmers. Why would any established PC game company pay extra to sell to the minority PC-less PS3 owners when the majority will buy it for their PC?

The real question is, will Valve sell to the overwhelming majority of console gamers (by unit sales) Wii owners. It is just as difficult to program for, but is being sold to and marketed for the non-gaming community. Bringing in ungodly amounts of money and new gamers, gamers who don't own gaming PCs. Debate between Xbox and Sony ends their the Wii will out sell both combined in the end, smart game companies will bank on Nintendo.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]And if your name is EA developing and publishing any old crap is good enough just so long as it makes a quick buck *points at the PS3 port of the Orange Box*. It's good to see there are developers out there who can see past their profit margins and stake their reputation on quaility products.[/citation]
Could you please name a few "bad quality" ports to PS3?
How come, not porting software to a popular platform (and, mind you, core framework is just a small part of the whole game) is a positive step? So Valve doesn't have devs capable enough to port their stuff to PS3? It's architecture is obscure? Oh, so what?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Could you please name a few "bad quality" ports to PS3? How come, not porting software to a popular platform (and, mind you, core framework is just a small part of the whole game) is a positive step? So Valve doesn't have devs capable enough to port their stuff to PS3? It's architecture is obscure? Oh, so what?[/citation]

Bad ports.....other then Orange box? Most of the initial releases of 3rd party games on the PS3 were 360/PC ports which suffered from either inferior graphics or slower framerates and GTA IV on the PS3 averages a below average frame rate.

If Valve thought it was profitable to port it's games onto the PS3 then they would have done it but as it stands they looked at the PS3 customer base and weighed it up against the time/cost of developing a good quality PS3 version and they decide it just wasn't worth doing. Why is this so hard to understand? Valve aren't in the business of losing money and witting it's games on the PS3 architecture won't yield a good enough return for the expense that would have been outlayed.

There are very few developers in the world how can properly code for the PS3 and most of them are based in Japan and work very closely with Sony. It's not only Valve that are sounding off against the PS3, Activision have already made sounds about dropping the platform unless Sony can turn the PS3 fortunes around and Epic have moaned about the cost of developing on Cell.

G

maybe the dont have the technical skill to do it, and programing for the easy option is the best they can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.