Valve Still Not Interested in the PlayStation 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]I highly disagree with your assumption about digital sales. Ever here of MMOs? Steam? All of that stuff is bought digitally. In January of 2008, WoW alone had over 10 million subscribers and that's over a year ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World [...] #ReceptionHow much does it cost to play WoW a year? At $20 a month, a year costs $240. So how much money does WoW bring in over the course of the year? $24 billion. That is WoW alone, and going by numbers from January 2008.Perhaps you should rethink what you are saying before you make statements like "You couldn't possibly be more inaccurate". Clearly, you are the one who knows little about which they speak! Facts, figures, and objective evidence aside, if console sales are so much greater than PC sales, then why is the title of this article "Valve not interested in PS3" and not "Valve not interested in PC"?[/citation]

Uh, some simple arithmetic makes you sound like a moron.

World of Warcraft cost $15 a month, not $20, and most people pay $10-$13 because they buy 6 month or longer passes. I'll be extra nice and assume that every one of the 11 million subscribers pays the max $15 a month and do some simple math. Plus the fact that WoW is a world of it's own and citing revenue from Wow isn't really indicative of the overall PC market. I'll let you do it anyways though just to prove how feeble your statement really is.

($15/month * 12 months) * $11,000,000(active subscribers) = $2 billion a year. Not sure how you came up with $24 billion.

Okay, so let's revise my numbers. $700 million retail sales + $2 billion from WoW + $2 billion from other digital sales (extremely generous) = $4.7 billion.

$21.3 billion > $4.7 billion. Try some simple math before you make yourself look like a humongous moron.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]Not gonna happen,the money right now is on the xbox 360...we at least should thankful of how much valve supports the pc market when other companies don't give a crap.[/citation]
the money right now is on the Wii

saliwok

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I love a fan-boy flame war.

Fact is, there are many developers who have shown that you can make great games for the PS3.

I love HL2 and I wish Valve would make the effort. I bought the PS3 specifically because the Orange box had been promised for the PS3 and I didn't want to put more money into my creaky old PC.

If Valve can't be bothered, there are lots of other places for me to spend my money (and I have).

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]the money right now is on the Wii[/citation]
eh..ok fanboy, change "xbox 360" to consoles then...pathetic.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Every time anything PS3/360/Wii PC comes up it turns into a pissing match.
-The 360 is a good unit, I play it and enjoy myself.
I prefer PS3 and it's unfortionate that Valve doesnt think Sony is worthy... SO fuck them! If they dont want to spend money to make money oh well.
Sure Sony is harder to code, but the potential sales are there. There are 20 million units. I think Valve should learn the sony code and make some more money makin sony games.

Harder to port, yes! difficult to code, yes! want to make some money Valve? apparently not!

It is unfortionate that the PS3 is difficult to code however, we Sony owners have suffered the lose of many great titles.

Just another reason to snag a 360 Elite as the price drops

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ADM-86[/nom]eh..ok fanboy, change "xbox 360" to consoles then...pathetic.[/citation]
In fact i hate the WII tastic kids machine. i do like PS3/360.. there ok.

I am a PC fanboy all the way but the fact is aside from WoW there isn't as much cash in the PC gaming right now. Consoles are killing US!

Stop living in denial. You can be a fanboy all you want, but facts are facts.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
re: "Valve Still Not Interested in the PlayStation 3"

that's ok with me, i too have no interest in the ps3, i own an xbox, xbox 360 and quite a number of pc and i'm happy. ok a little bit of mac envy, until i see the sticker price, then it goes away. ;-)

i also find it's very easy to develop on pc/xbox 360, microsoft has done a wonder job with developer tools like visual studio, xna, .net and C#.

sorry linux, apple, ps3 people need not apply. the best they got is java and java just don't cut it, believe me i've tried writing game engine in java, big disappointment, lots of effort. microsoft just makes it soo easy...

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]In fact i hate the WII tastic kids machine. i do like PS3/360.. there ok.I am a PC fanboy all the way but the fact is aside from WoW there isn't as much cash in the PC gaming right now. Consoles are killing US!Stop living in denial. You can be a fanboy all you want, but facts are facts.[/citation]

Well yeah, the console market has outgrew the pc market by far...that doesn't mean its gonna kill us, there is always gonna be pc gaming as far as theres money to be made from it,and what denial are you talking about?...the only emotional person in this discussion is you, I am not a fanboy of anything,that would mean I don't listen to reason defending what I like and get emotional about it, how you are getting based on what I had to say.

The truth(or at least in my opinion) is that the money right now is on the console market, theres still money good money on the pc market and we got some loyal companies working on pc games, but when you go and screw an easy way to make money by making your console hard to code....well this is what you get, less money.

What

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
is everyone forgetting about pc hardware sales?, im assuming the 24 billion is mostly made up of wii hardware/wii fit etc sales.

i can see why valve doesnt want to learn to program the ps3, 360 & pc's architecture has a future while the ps3's architecture will die with it. I have a ps3 but when i comes to valve games i prefer to play then on pc.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cscott_it[/nom]I wonder if the Open CL will help push devs to work on the PS3 (since it has native support, I believe).[/citation]

The RSX is essentially a 7800 Core. OpenCL is supported now only by CUDA GPUs, so 8800 GT (92) or greater (and ATI's equivalent). THe PS3 does not support openCL and open CL does not benefit 3D games at least from a development cost perspective.

EABlair03

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
"Of course, all of you who are reading now with a PS3 also have a gaming PC, right?"

Yup. PC is for FPSs (STALKER is one of the greatest games on the face of the Earth [with mods, of course]). PS3 is for anything else. (Recently, I played Prototype on the PC, and then bought it for the PS3. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Dualshock2-to-USB converter?)

Anyway, I can certainly understand Valve not developing for the PS3, but I can't imagine it being so super extremely difficult to port games. I have Fallout 3 for PS3. Bethesda managed to get that working, just not with all the polish I would've liked. My brother constantly plays Call of Duty on the PS3; Infinity Ward/Treyarch did a fine job with that.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
honestly i never wanted to see valve on teh 360 , infact i blame the 360 for the reason why L4D 2 wasnt just a big expansion for l4d 1.

and when is ay expansion i mean a paid for expansion , i';m nto like those tards in teh boycotte that want shit free , i just would avhe prefered valve exapndign ont eh game they got with the characters tehy got instead of makign a whole new game with new cahracters (none of which i really find as interesting as teh first game's characters)

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
It's quite a simple equation, if you don't feel the time, money and effort required to produce a game on the PS3 is going to equal more then what you will get back in terms of revenue/royalties then why should Valve offer to help subsidise the PS3?

As for the argument 'well other reputable developers have shown you can make games that work on the PS3', yes there are many cross platform games but that's borne out the need due to the cost of developing games these days. A lot of games if not most are visually inferior and slower on the PS3 then they are on the 360 with the standard gamin PC these days being immeasurably better in every department. Now why is this? The amount of times I read 'the developers are lazy and don't want to learn the how to code for the PS3' when in actually fact it's because it costs to much to money and time to split the code out on to run effectively on Cell.

How many 3rd party titles/cross platform games can you find that makes full use of the cell or even half of it? The Cell is perhaps the biggest technology choice clanger an electronics manufacturer has ever made (ok I'm sure there are worse), coding for multithreading is hard enough but then add on the complications of having two different CPU architectures as well? That's just crazy.

As for PC NPD numbers vs the consoles here some facts to bear in mind. The PC numbers are made up of retail stores only and are US only and they don't include revenue from places like Amazon.com, console numbers tend to indicative of a more worldwide picture and also those numbers are comparing what 5 or 6 consoles (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, Xbox, PSP, Gameboy or whatever their called now) against a single platform and not to mention no sources on what on-line revenue is generating which nobody can guess. All I would say is that Valve have said it's sold more copies of games like Half Life 2 and Left 4 Dead via steam then it has from retail and 60% of total sales have come from the PC (just google it).

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I love Valve, they're one of the main supporters of the PC market. If they say they're not developing on the PS3, I'd never think to get one.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]foxyg[/nom]Why you want to make 1 game for PS3, but with same amount of time and make 2 games for Xbox 360 and PC.[/citation]

That simply means they cant work with GCC type of compilers and Pure C and Assembler very well.

All they can do is using pre-build libraries. that also means they can't code on their own, which also means they cant code for shit.

Thats probably why VALVe games are so easy to hack. Look at their so called "VAC", what a load of jokes. ROFL.

Gabe, Hmm you failed, fat man.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]599 US DOLLARSRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER[/citation]

Welcome to 2007, loser.

if you can't afford one, that simply means you're nothing but a cheap sour grape moron. hahahaha. eat that bitch.

hmm oh yeah I got all consoles and I use Dual 6 core operton. so yeah, Im better than you loser. HAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.