Valve: We're Not Making Crappy Party Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Leave it to Valve to come up with the only cool-sounding mini-game ever as an example of something they consider crappy.

G

If only they could get other game publishers to agree not to make crappy 'mini games' Meh Effect 2 has 2 of the crappiest mini games going and some pointless drivel that doesn't even count as a mini game, they make the idea of waving to 'saw a zombie's head off' sound like a fantastic game!

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I dont get this culture surrounding ZOMBIES... What is up with people and their obsession with zombies??? I used to host LAN parties at my house for L4D and we all got bored of it...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
On the other note, I hope VALVE comes back up with the next REVOLUTION in PC GAMING by their HL3... It seems, only Crytek is pushing the bars :S

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Thing is, killing zombies would have the same motion as Tennis on Wii Sports. Your arm movement really isn't going to get any more exciting, not to mention boredom and aching. Sure it would be fun for five minutes, but after that?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Thank god. The Wii is fun while playing drunk or intoxicated on illegal substances, but I couldn't stand throwing my arms around sober. I actually tried and I don't know about the whole controller flying out of your hand thing, but I actually threw the controllers at the tv after my arms got tired within 30 minutes.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Sounds like any of these games would eventually end up like cheat codes for consoles. "To use your knife....up, up, down, left, right, left, up." Huh? XD

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]On the other note, I hope VALVE comes back up with the next REVOLUTION in PC GAMING by their HL3... It seems, only Crytek is pushing the bars :S[/citation]
Are you effing kidding me? Crysis really blew monkeys, but was pretty, and that's it. Get over that game, it's not worth mentioning unless you're talking about benchmarking.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They need to fix L4D2 being votekicked from games for no reason whatsoever then I will listen to what they have to say about game development.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Are you effing kidding me? Crysis really blew monkeys, but was pretty, and that's it. Get over that game, it's not worth mentioning unless you're talking about benchmarking.[/citation]
Why does every idiot on the internet seem to act like graphics do not matter...

While Crysis was average at best, the engine Crytek made clearly pushed the industry. If someone had taken the CryTek 2 engine and made a good game with it, everyone would be all over it.

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Coming from the company that has only released 2 games and a couple expansions in their entire existence... Maybe what he meant was the development house will no longer be buying - college students school projects, existing development teams that are currently working on a cool looking game, or community made mods - to be rebranded with the Valve name if they involve any crappy mini games.
We have these technologies now that let us interact in different, really exciting ways," he added. "It's developers' jobs to do something with it. Impress me.
So we can buy you and slap Valve on the game box.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]assmar[/nom]Are you effing kidding me? Crysis really blew monkeys, but was pretty, and that's it. Get over that game, it's not worth mentioning unless you're talking about benchmarking.[/citation]

You didnt get my point, I am referring to the engine itself not the gameplay. Pretty much any game that came after CryEngine 2, is still catching up. They introduced for the first time, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Parallax Occlusion, volumetric lighting, CG quality Time of Days, and they had their own Physics Engine...

Just head to crymod.com and browse what people have manage to pull from CryEngine 2.

Also, CryEngine 3 is introducing for the very first time, real time Global Illumination...

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Valve can say all they want about what they're producing and not producing. Until I see HL2:EP3 in my Steam account I would like them t shut up, spend the time faffing on finishing the thing and get it out!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]On the other note, I hope VALVE comes back up with the next REVOLUTION in PC GAMING by their HL3... It seems, only Crytek is pushing the bars :S[/citation]
Agreed. And if it's to be believed that Crysis 2 will be for PS3,360, chances are it will probably be a port.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Why does every idiot on the internet seem to act like graphics do not matter... [/citation]
It's not that graphics do not matter, but that they are not necessary to make a good game - nor do they make a game good.

Sure, good graphics can help with immersion, but so does a compelling storyline, an intuitive control scheme, a sense that the player is controlling their own actions (to some extent at least), and most importantly smooth gameplay (eg minimizing: lag, time between save points, the ability to "dead end" if you save at the wrong time, unskipable cutscenes, unskipable cutscenes following save points, loading time, glitches, time wasted trying to get money/experience, etc).

Basically, if a company fails on any of these then game play suffers regardless of whether the rest are excellent. Do amazing graphics make up for Crysis' shortcomings? I would say "a little."

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Well thats the thing. Pushing bars is great. but when you need to have a decent PC to even run your game at low quality, thats not pushing bars. Thats just crap. When the newest hardware can barely max out your game thats 3+ yeras old, thats just crap.

Source and HL2 pushed when maxed but was still doable on age old ATI 8500s and nVidia TNTs. Of course a newer PC could max ait and now even newer PCs max it out at insane res whle pushing 200FPS.

I do want to see HL3 though. but first HL2 EP3. Need to get vengance. And I am sure if they were working on Source 2, it would make CryEngine..... well cry like a little baby.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]They need to fix L4D2 being votekicked from games for no reason whatsoever then I will listen to what they have to say about game development.[/citation]

So you want them to control other people? Good luck with that. Or they could have no votekick like a lot of console games so people would bitch.

VALVe is one of the leading PC game companies, no matter what. They pushed FPS games to new standards and still do.

[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Why does every idiot on the internet seem to act like graphics do not matter... While Crysis was average at best, the engine Crytek made clearly pushed the industry. If someone had taken the CryTek 2 engine and made a good game with it, everyone would be all over it.[/citation]

Because graphics coupled with a horrible game, bad gameplay, rehasehd story and meh quality (not to mention bad engine design, thing is buggy as hell) makes it crap.

Graphics only don't fly with PC gamers. Maybe console gamers, but not PC. Thats why people hate EA the most. They release new games so fast that they lack story and development of the gameplay feels meh.

Crysis was pretty at most. But other than that, it was a waste of money. I could barely play it through once before getting bored.

G

i take my hat off to valve for taking time with games and not rushing them out the door just to make a quick buck. They are a company known for quality and giving the consumer what they want. Even if it is on a slower schedule. I have never bought a valve game that i regretted buying. Cant say that for any other company. Nintendo is close... (just cause im picky about nintendo games) But valve pretty much everything they make is gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.