Verizon Could Be Bossing Apple Around for iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I was excited about the ongoing rumor til I got my Droid X... Now I could give a rat's backside about the iFone...

G

"Apple wants to keep the iPhone sold through Verizon and Apple Stores, but not through third-party dealers."

This was true at one point but not true anymore. Currently Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and WalMart sell the iPhone.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Isn't it great when two big corporations argue about what they think is best for their [strike]bottom line[/strike]customers?

Apple: "We want to limit people to only the content we provide."
Verizon: "No, we want to limit people to the content WE provide."
Customer: "Excuse me, can I have a phone I can just do what I want with?"
(All phone makers and service providers in unison): "No."

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]crisss1205[/nom]"Apple wants to keep the iPhone sold through Verizon and Apple Stores, but not through third-party dealers."This was true at one point but not true anymore. Currently Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and WalMart sell the iPhone.[/citation]

No thats still true because there has yet to be a CDMA iPhone released. Perhaps you are thinking of the GSM version currently being sold.

This also may be how Apple intends to subvert the exclusivity contract with AT&T. By simply leaving the original iPhone on AT&T and doing whatever they want as far as marketing outlets with the CDMA version.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
could someone tell me where you can viably purchase an Android phone without all the (ATT, Verizon, etc) crap and not be a techie to root and remove?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"There's also that exclusivity contract with AT&T that's originally not up until 2012, but even contracts can be changed."

Actually there have been several reports that the contract has been re-negotiated.

This is the first article (WSJ not Toms) that I actually believe about the Verizon iPhone. I personally know someone that is "in the know" about Verizon plans, and he has been telling me about the January 2011 release since June. The WSJ points to "people familiar with the matter", but the pieces fit: the CDMA network will allow talking and surfing at the same time, something Apple has always touted as a superior feature of the iPhone, Seidenberg specifically mentioned in the "sprinkle of cold water" that 4G will "speed up the process", there's the reports of Verizon iPhone testing in Boston, there's certainly a demand from consumers--I think the time is right.

G

Resonse to hellwig: Yes you can down the line with the last court hearing...but be prepared to pay full price of the phone minus any subsidies

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
For all the iPhone haters I have the Droid and I would much prefer the iPhone 4. I would love to sign up for one if it was on Verizon. iPhone, just a much more refined device IMO.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]could someone tell me where you can viably purchase an Android phone without all the (ATT, Verizon, etc) crap and not be a techie to root and remove?[/citation]
I believe that would be the Nexus One, but you're still stuck with Google Crap (but hey, it has to run some OS).

nexgenmax

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
The key is the content and the support. Android is gaining and is pretty much very similar with iPhone. But, iPhone has a full support from single company, Apple. Where else, Android has multiple support, such as, HTC/Motorola for the hardwares and Google Android as OS.
Then we can talk about contents. Apple provide all music, apps, and iOS update. Where else, Android, OS update is done by Google. Then all the Android owners have to wait for their update through HTC/Motorola which is not immediate since they have tweaked or personalized the Android OS.

Apple makes thing easier. When Android has this kind of support and contents, Android will sell like peanuts.

nexgenmax

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
The key is the content and the support. Android is gaining and is pretty much very similar with iPhone. But, iPhone has a full support from single company, Apple. Where else, Android has multiple support, such as, HTC/Motorola for the hardwares and Google Android as OS.
Then we can talk about contents. Apple provide all music, apps, and iOS update. Where else, Android, OS update is done by Google. Then all the Android owners have to wait for their update through HTC/Motorola which is not immediate since they have tweaked or personalized the Android OS.

Apple makes thing easier. When Android has this kind of support and contents, Android will sell like peanuts.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sakibaba[/nom]Resonse to hellwig: Yes you can down the line with the last court hearing...but be prepared to pay full price of the phone minus any subsidies[/citation]
Heard about the G2? If you root it, it does a factory reset (I think another phone or tablet was recently reported to be doing the same thing). So unless you want to be busted by the DMCA police, you might not have any option to do anything in the near future.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
iPhone has too many dealbreakers. Furthermore, now that I have a Droid 2, iPhone's only relevance is in providing competition that may spur useful updates.

G

"could someone tell me where you can viably purchase an Android phone without all the (ATT, Verizon, etc) crap and not be a techie to root and remove?"

The original Droid runs stock Android on Verizon. No VCast, no additional Verizon or Motorola skinning or other crap, no watered down Android Market - just pure clean Froyo. You can even tether via free Android Market apps. Unfortunately, most of the world knows this and these babies are fetching a hefty premium on Ebay and such.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
It shouldn't come as a surprise that there's a conflict between VCast and the iTunes store - analysts have been predicting that would be the major sticking point for a Verizon iPhone for years, now.

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I believe that would be the Nexus One, but you're still stuck with Google Crap (but hey, it has to run some OS).[/citation]
it's a shame that there won't be a nexus two

G

This whole rumor is beyond the pale. Anyone who thinks that Apple is actually making the phones before they've completed negotiations with the carrier is just nuts. What a great negotiating position that would be. Apple: "Hey Verizon, we've made 10 million phones specifically designed to work with your network with more on the way. Now let's sit down and negotiate terms." Verizon: "Yeah, here are our terms. You'll do what we want or you'll eat the phones. Text us when you agree."

Status
Not open for further replies.