Verizon Droid 2 Launching August with Android 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]With the similarities between this and the original Droid, and the Droid X coming out, the Droid 2 seems like an epic fail to me[/citation]

And the flames begin!

Check out the specs on the Droid X and Droid 2: Similar if not same screen, same innards, only differences is the keyboard and OS.

Your Epic fail would be a buy for me as I prefer a physical keyboard over touchscreen. It's nice that Motorola's looking out for customers with different preferences, instead of forcing them to adapt to a sole product.

Though, judging from your comment, I wouldn't expect you to understand anything about business/marketing.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'd prefer a keyboard. I've been considering leaving AT&T early because of reception issues and my crappy phone as it is. Couple it with this, and I think I'm going to get one of these. All the other android phones I've looked at were touchscreen only, which I didn't like too well. it's too bad this is a craporola. I don't like the company, but I like the features of this model.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I will deffinately be getting the droid 2. I like the droid x but would prefer a smaller footprint and the slide out keyboard. I have a first gen droid and I love it, I will be giving it to my wife when she's done with her worthless att contract.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Rhynn[/nom]I much prefer the keyboard to the touch screen. Droid 2 ftw![/citation]
I just wish they wouldn't use that membrane switch overlay keyboard and would instead switch to physically separate keys like my BB. One of my coworkers here has a Droid 1, and while I'm impressed with the phone and Android overall, I'm not crazy about the keyboard style (I also have reservations about Android because I couldn't get my coworker's Droid to sync up with my company's OWA where my BB has no problems-my guess is our IT dept is somehow blocking them with their evil magic like they did with the iphones too).

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
"IT" always seems to be a problem when you need to get something useful done at work.

As for keyboard/ no keyboard I can't decide, I guess I'll just have to wait till the droid 2 appears so I can hold both. (it is always just another month away I want to throw my old phone in the trash now)

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I'm definitely a keyboard user myself. I can't stand not having it. The touchscreens are great, but the physical keyboard is still more accurate.

However, I don't know how much I like the idea of them getting rid of the directional pad. It comes in handy when you want to zero in on a certain spot to make a corrections. Trying to tap the screen in just the right spot can be difficult at times.

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]With the similarities between this and the original Droid, and the Droid X coming out, the Droid 2 seems like an epic fail to me[/citation]

I have a Droid, and even I am considering the Droid 2. It fixes all the (minor) issues with Droid, and has way better specs, innards-wise. How is this a fail exactly? It doesn't really compete with Droid X as it has a keyboard and is not a monster size.

G

The Droid 2 isn't an epic fail for someone like me who would be a first time buyer of a droid. I plan to get the Droid 2 when it comes out with the much better keyboard than the original droid, froyo and other internal upgrades. It doesn't seem like a logical upgrade for someone who already has the Droid, but for a new buyer, I don't see anything wrong with this.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]ac21365[/nom]And the flames begin!Check out the specs on the Droid X and Droid 2: Similar if not same screen, same innards, only differences is the keyboard and OS. Your Epic fail would be a buy for me as I prefer a physical keyboard over touchscreen. It's nice that Motorola's looking out for customers with different preferences, instead of forcing them to adapt to a sole product. Though, judging from your comment, I wouldn't expect you to understand anything about business/marketing.[/citation]

Agree, My friend has the original droid and I love the keyboard. The droid 2 has a bigger keyboard = better imo. Also, the faster specs in the same design, and 2.2 = win. Even better is that I'm up for a new phone at the end of August.

G

Thank heaven for alternatives. Android provided an excellent option for those who didn't want to live behind the high walls of "i" land. I've owned Motorola phones (Razr, V9m) for years and have always found them reliable and enjoyable to use--definitely not deserving of pejoratives like craparola. I now have the original Droid and after a learning curve, am highly pleased with it. Highly customizable, synchronizable with numerous email and other accounts, and with access to innumerable apps (including excellent navigation, Skymap, foreign language translation, Google Voice, the new Kindle e-reader, and one of my personal favorites--Find Starbucks). The browser is fast, and the phone plays very nicely with wireless networks and my various bluetooth devices.

I, too, have a strong preference for the physical keyboard, even if it means additional weight and thickness. For my purposes, the Droid is the perfect phone, combining business use with personal use, without undue emphasis on social networking uses more suited to the younger crowd. (I doubt I shall ever feel the need to Tweet people with the news that I am sitting in the drive-through lane at Chick-Fil-A.

Will definitely upgrade to Droid 2 in the future, and look forward to seeing Froyo on my current phone later this month. As a tip for other upgraders, I got my Droid through Wirefly.com at a very significant discount several months ago (49.95 with contract renewal).

G

The D2 has a lot more features then the env touch and the speakers are great in it too. The big thing for me is that the battery sucks on it but if you have a smartphone you are going to have to live with that anyways. I have a couple of chargers so I can make sure that my phone does not die.
A couple of good things about it:
Linux Based
Built in GPS
Internet Browser works well
I like using the Swype feature for short messaging.
5 MP Camera albeit 8 would have been nicer
QWERTY Keyboard is descent on it too.
a lot of cool other features

What I don't like:
Battery
Verizon's Bloatware (You can get it off if you root the phone)
The Motorola blur is sometimes slow but you can get around that.
Before you buy one, see this http://www.Droid2Forum.net it's useful.

G

I think it’s refreshing when companies release phones in colors other than black or silver. I’d buy this if I wasn’t so hopelessly reliant on the look and feel of Sense UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.