Verizon (Falsely?) Claims Exclusive on Galaxy Nexus

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Then why are you even reading, much less posting in, AN ARTICLE ABOUT ANDROID PHONES?!?!?!Good for you and your phone. I'm so glad you're happy with it. I for one found my iphone 3GS far too limited and boring for my tastes. Your tastes obviously differ.Oh, and nobody fucking cares BTW![/citation]

The same reason you cry anti-apple BS on most Apple stories? Hypocrite.

And nobody cares about your depressed, middle-aged, stuck-in-a-rut, rookie job rambles either, but it doesn't stop you. ;-)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jivdis1x[/nom]Att, verizon, Sprint, etc( major carrier ) has some/all of the cost of the phone in their voice and data plans. They give you a discount up front for the 2 years contract, then recover the cost over the 2 years. Is you voice and data any cheaper with an iphone? Because it's hardly discounted or worst, never free. You basically paying on both front( for the phone and monthly). If you show a little restraint instead blindly eating it up, then maybe the carrier would discount the iphone more. I am not talking about free iphone 3. lol[/citation]

I dont really get this point, at all. GetReal was saying that Android manufacturers have to sell their phones for less, which is absolutely true - the prices to buy off contract show this, Android phones are cheaper. And they have to be, because despite being cheaper, they still don't sell as well.

So how does your post contradict what he says? Are you trying to contradict him by saying Android phones are AS EXPENSIVE? Clearly not true, but if you're not claiming that then you're agreeing with him that they are less expensive.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jivdis1x[/nom]The manufacturer of the phone is not giving them out free. The carrier buys them. Sales is sales, doesn't matter who buys them. The saleman see dollars sign when iphone buyer comes into the store. "oh, I'll charge this smuck something that should be free!"[/citation]

When he said giving them out free, he meant on the cheap. As in cheaper than iPhones.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I don't understand why the Nexus One and Nexus S were available at T-Mobile right off the bat but the Galaxy Nexus has moved the whole shebang to Verizon. My Nexus One is dying and I was holding off for the Galaxy Nexus. Now I don't know if I have the patience (my phone is driving me mental) to wait and see how long it will be before the Galaxy Nexus hits my network. I might have to hit up ebay for a cheap Nexus S...[/citation]

Ouch, you have the Nexus One? No ICS update for you, despite your phone being less than 2 years old. It is worth an article, by the way. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5016/googles-nexus-one-not-getting-android-40-update

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The same reason you cry anti-apple BS on most Apple stories? Hypocrite. And nobody cares about your depressed, middle-aged, stuck-in-a-rut, rookie job rambles either, but it doesn't stop you. ;-)[/citation]

Are you guys/gals still at it?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
You gotta like how things turn out. Android users have been touting choice all this time, but they really don't have a choice do they? If they want a Samsung Galaxy S2 they gotta line up with the carrier that sports that phone. If they want a Motorola Droid, well, they better line up with Verizon.....etc.

So after all the BS, it turns out that the iPhone 4S gives you the most choice - 3 out of 4 carriers support it in the US and it will also work on all GSM networks outside of the US...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Ouch, you have the Nexus One? No ICS update for you, despite your phone being less than 2 years old. It is worth an article, by the way. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5016 [...] -40-update[/citation]

That's ok - he can wait for the developer community to produce a release for him...lol

You know, when Google first announced Android I had some really high hopes for it - but they failed to control its implementation (something that needs to be done to achieve consistent useablity) and now they have a mess on their hands. Companies like Samsung, HTC, Motorola make their money off hardware so they are motivated to release new phones every 3-6 months but have 0 motivation to release updates to these phones.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I don't understand why the Nexus One and Nexus S were available at T-Mobile right off the bat but the Galaxy Nexus has moved the whole shebang to Verizon. My Nexus One is dying and I was holding off for the Galaxy Nexus. Now I don't know if I have the patience (my phone is driving me mental) to wait and see how long it will be before the Galaxy Nexus hits my network. I might have to hit up ebay for a cheap Nexus S...[/citation]

So let me get this straight - your Nexus One (which is less than 2 years old) is dying and you're looking to get another Nexus phone to replace the one that couldn't even last two years??? Are you f'n retarded???

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
From the majority of the Apple-hating posts that I've read all Android needs to be offer to be great is for it NOT to be iOS. ...all Android phones need to offer is for them NOT to be made by Apple. No real objectivity here, just support for their brands. A lot of folks talk about the price of these devices but that's not objective either, everyone's coming from the angle of what's cost-effective, expensive, or cheap to them. I say that that a $600 price is insignificant to much of the smart-phone market so that is no longer a consideration to those people. What is wrong with Apple chasing that segment? Nothing, that's why they're making the money they do.

There's also folks here that seem to care about things like their comments getting voted down. LOL. No harm meant but a recommendation would be to try to look at the scenarios and situation with considerations other than your own. Empathy...its not necessarily a bad thing, even to someone who enjoys gaming. Nothing wrong with someone enjoying something you dislike...that doesn't mean they're flawed.

Its good that both iOS and Android devices exist. ...no one has to use a device they hate unless they choose to.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I might actually consider this phone as a replacement for my BB Tour now that our IT dept finally supports an android email client. However, that's only going to be the case if the rumors of a physical keyboard version are true, and as long as it is of decent quality (no crappy one-piece overlays, I want separate physical keys). I was considering a Samsung Stratosphere but it's questionable if it'll get ICS and it's less powerful than the S2 or Galaxy Nexus. Yes, yes, I know, I'm a luddite stuck in the past for wanting a physical keyboard, but I really hate typing long emails on a touchscreen keyboard and that's just my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.