Verizon Finally Killing Unlimited Data For Existing Subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I like how the link in this article just links back to itself. Yep get that SEO going of inbound links to....itself.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
... Screw you Verizon... You promised that grandfathered data plans would be left unaffected by the tiered data plan scheme but you turned back on your word.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I want to say go F*ck yourself verizon and go to sprint but.... Ya i'm boned Sprint sucks around my location. Anyways i normally use 2-3gbs a month at most 4. I am still unlimited (grandfathered) but 1 year and 6 months from now I wont be and will be in a pickle. I Would understand if i was pulling 20gbs+ off 4g and they throttle me. GREEDY F**CKERS!

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I predict Sprint is going to see a lot more new subscribers in the near future, especially since they are jumping on the LTE bandwagon. :D

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
While this news isn't pleasing to hear, I don't really mind it. Seriously, how can you guys stand to browse the web on some of these devices? As long as Internet service from the ISPs isn't watered down, I could really care less about the Internet provided by wireless carriers.

gbair

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
^There are still many places in the states where cellular broadband is the only feasible option (only other options are satellite and dial-up) here in the states for a home connection via tethering or a mobile broadband card.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Let's see, have to pay extra for mobile hotspot though the phone you buy has it built in and using it as a hotspot uses no extra resources on Verizon's systrem; Loyalty discount turned into a loyalty fee (can there be any better way for Verizon to spit in the face of long time customers?); and now getting rid of the grandfathered unlimited plans. For some reason it seems Verizon is doing it's best to get rid of every existing customer. Guess in 18 months I will oblige them.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Damn, not only does sprint offer a better a service but they offer it for far less. I get a 20% discount on my Verizon plan and it is still 10 bucks more than Sprint's unlimited everything plan. guess I know where I'm going in July!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I love my $15 a month dumb phone. I would like to get a smart phone, but with carriers like Verizon locking them down and monetizing them more aggressively than ever before I'm quite content to stick with my dumb phone. The convenience of data on the go just isn't worth what they think it is. Completely eliminating unlimited data is just going to help more people realize this. Bad move Verizon. One day these revenue enhancements are going to backfire.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sprint will kill unlimited by the end of the year.[/citation]
Sprint knows that's the only thing keeping them competitive, and they boast it proudly. It would be suicide on sprint's part if they killed unlimited data. Links, or it didn't happen.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Junk article. Bold statements and no cited sources. Kevin's opinions are NOT news.[/citation]
Neither are yours.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Even though I work in IT, tether my phone's connection, etc. - I'm thinking that once my contract with Verizon is up in a few months that I'm just done with smartphones in general. I simply can't see the justification of spending nearly $2,000 a year for a phone with small-capped Internet access. Some people can justify that they get to stay connected to Facebook for two grand as being worth it...but not I.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
This kind of makes me mad, but on a personal level, I only use about 1GB of data a month on my phone, I am mostly using WIFI and most of the data I use is for streaming IHEARTRADIO or Pandora. I still think it is messed up. Too bad they don't give you "roll over data".

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Sprints data rate sucks monkey nuts. I am on 4G (WiMax) with 3 bars and only get 2.2Mbps down and less than 2 up.

Only thing that keeps me with them is unlimited data. Even this will not keep me if they dont get some Windows phones in their lineup.

I am put out with Android as it has been way too problematic on my EVO and my wife's Optimus. I know that this could be carrier/manufacturers fault and I may be able to solve with rooting but I dont have time or will to screw with it. I want a phone that works right that is covered under warranty and not filled with tons of crapware.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Junk article. Bold statements and no cited sources. Kevin's opinions are NOT news.[/citation]
Fran Shammo, Verizon CFO was the one who said it at the JPMorgan TMT Conference, not a rumor and Toms was like the last site to report on this :p

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Even though I work in IT, tether my phone's connection, etc. - I'm thinking that once my contract with Verizon is up in a few months that I'm just done with smartphones in general. I simply can't see the justification of spending nearly $2,000 a year for a phone with small-capped Internet access. Some people can justify that they get to stay connected to Facebook for two grand as being worth it...but not I.[/citation]

if it were for facebook yea I can see that is a rediculous amoutn to spend, me and my wife though on sprint pay $102 after taxes for 2 unlimited data phones (grandfathered plan) and droppped cable tv in favor of netfliz and huluplus since we can both stream the services not only aty home but on the go with our android phones which to me is worth it ... plus words with freinds really helps the day go faster at work for quick breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS