Verizon Forcing Subscribers to Use Bing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startingline13

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
I noticed this last week too!

I work in Manhattan and I look at my BB Curve to see that Bing icon on my home screen. I can't get rid of it and I'm thinking "I don't remember downloading this..."

Kind of messed up on Verizon's part to magically plant items on my phone if you ask me.

G

I hate microsoft and all its products because of these and similar reasons. They want to be everywhere Operational system, browsing, gaming, now search engine. They are giving theyr products to me even if I dont want them.
Everywhere is f.....ing microsoft.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
This is what happens when major corporations team up in some way, financial or otherwise.... "otherwise, what other reason do for-profit corporations team up!" We as consumers only have the choice to switch cellular providers when the one we're with changes things about the services or devices we use. It is very different from the way that our home computers currently are. However, with this push for 'cloud computing' and all the software we use to be on the cloud, we may get to this point where we have no choices. Choice is bad for big companies, it complicates their life. If they can get us all corralled int only a couple of fenced in areas then they win financially. Get ready for the future.

G

This is one of the many reasons why Verizon is almost as low as AT&T.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]hate this[/nom]I hate microsoft and all its products because of these and similar reasons. They want to be everywhere Operational system, browsing, gaming, now search engine. They are giving theyr products to me even if I dont want them.Everywhere is f.....ing microsoft.[/citation]

Then go use your Ubuntu system and an Android phone. No one is forcing you to use Microsoft.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]hate this[/nom]I hate microsoft and all its products because of these and similar reasons. They want to be everywhere Operational system, browsing, gaming, now search engine. They are giving theyr products to me even if I dont want them.Everywhere is f.....ing microsoft.[/citation]

And yet without Microsoft and its simplistic OS to push PCs into peoples homes, funding to save Apple and pushing of various other itmes like DX we wouldn't have the same level of technology we have today.

Without MS we would be further back. Besides, Bing has a great image search system. As for VZ doing it is what we need to know.

But the title is still misinforming. Its not forcing it. Its like the media player or my EnV Touch has links to YouTube, Facebook and some other preinstalled.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
M$ Appoligist Alert.

M$ Ass clowns are drinking the kool-aid a little early this new years.

This is wrong and something that Verizon is notorious for. Keep doing this stuff guys and consumer groups are going to put an end to your blanket contracts. The contracts basically say you must pay us and you have no right what so ever. Yes it's a choice not a right but this needs to regulated it's too one sided.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Without MS we would be further back. [/citation]

Yeah, without MS we might be running Gnome or KDE on top of DR-DOS, with real security at the OS level. And yeah, the world would suck if we had to rely on OpenGL for gaming. Take 2 history lessons and call me in the morning. It is closer to the truth to say that without Apple and other tech companies actually innovating, we would be stuck running Windows 3.1. Obviously not true, but closer than your spew.

And, to bring your sad little topic closer to what the article discussed, we all know how the world panics when Bing is down. As in, "Oh noes, the internet is down!" "Huh?" "I can't access Google!"

G

Jabliese: +1, the open-source community has done a fine job of creating standards, Microsoft, much like Intel, seeks to maintain their monopoly, not to win their marketshare purely on the merits of their products.

Intel = Can't make graphics, but doesn't want you to have Nvidia's. Making good CPU's is a last resort, to be used only when they have no other way of stifling AMD's marketshare. Rigging synthetic benchmarks and ICC is a long-standing Intel tradition.

Microsoft = Stole C#/.NET from Sun's Java (LOL, imagine my shock when I realized that learning C# gave me a 2-for-1 deal, since it's a complete ripoff of Java, compare Netbeans/Java to Visual Studio/C#). Microsoft has no need to impress you, since you can't buy a retail computer without Windows, even if you intend to install Linux as soon as you get home.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I hate to break it to everyone but all of these companies work together, have partnerships and team up to bu8ild phones, operating sytems, software, services, etc. One company alone couldn't do it all. MS and Verizon probably have a strategic relationship and need each other, one of the many terms their contract probably contains is having a link for user to use Bing as a search engine.

Big deal, it's called welcome to the competitive corporate world. If you isolate yourself you'll lose in the end like Apple almost did in the 90s. You can't blame MS or Verizon. And anyway, Bing is a great search engine so what's the problem? I dislike Google the way I dislike Apple, thinking they're so hip and trendy and bla bla bla - shut up I say. At least MS just keeps on trying to build good products and seems to learn from their mistakes.

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Did the author of this article not use his BlackBerry for the past year or two? Stuff like this has popped up on my BlackBerry for a while now, I simply select it and choose Hide. It doesn't take any real space (about 1kb), it's called Pushed applications and it is avalible to whoever provides your data service for BlackBerrys. If you got a BlackBerry from the company you work for they could push something like this to your phone as well.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]jabliese[/nom]Yeah, without MS we might be running Gnome or KDE on top of DR-DOS, with real security at the OS level. And yeah, the world would suck if we had to rely on OpenGL for gaming. Take 2 history lessons and call me in the morning. It is closer to the truth to say that without Apple and other tech companies actually innovating, we would be stuck running Windows 3.1. Obviously not true, but closer than your spew.And, to bring your sad little topic closer to what the article discussed, we all know how the world panics when Bing is down. As in, "Oh noes, the internet is down!" "Huh?" "I can't access Google!"[/citation]
KDE does a pretty good job of emulating the Windows 95 look & feel. It's branched out a bit nowadays but KDE 3 and before, it was pretty close, and worked well for those jumping from Windows to Linux.

You do know that the Windows team is constantly working. They're already working on Windows 8 and 7 just came out. Microsoft loves pushing out new OSes. They wouldn't give up the opportunity to sell us more software, so why would they want us to continue using Windows 3.1? They do push lots of new technology too, and innovate. They were the first to implement native touchscreen and handwriting recognition into a consumer operating system (at the time, it was basically what you could only otherwise get in Windows and Palm PDAs. Now they're the first with multitouch built in. In fact, Microsoft Surface has been around at least as long as the iPhone has (Apple's first multitouch device) so saying that Microsoft isn't at the front of innovation is false.

That, and DirectX is so popular because it's surpassed OpenGL. Years ago, in the DirectX 5 and earlier days, OpenGL was much better. DirectX was hard to code for and didn't have much of an attractive feature set. Now we have DirectX 11 with native tesselation support, compute shaders, and other things that OpenGL has been promising for years but fails to deliver on. The reason DirectX is a popular API for games these days is simply because right now, it's better than OpenGL.

We cannot know to what extent each company has influenced each other (aside from tracing money trails). Fact is that Apple couldn't survive without Microsoft, and Microsoft wouldn't be what it is today without Apple. Looking at the history of the development of the OS GUI, Microsoft clearly took some hints from Linux with the new command prompts, but Linux and Mac have clearly taken influence from Microsoft (the easiest way to tell is look at the window layout and concept of the start button/applications menu and taskbar; Mac took the close/max&restore/minimize buttons from Windows 9x when they introduced OS X, as well as the concept of minimizing programs to a taskbar, which greatly improved window management. Without Windows, heck, we'd probably still be using CDE or the like. Except for the more obscure X window managers, most emulate a lot of the look and feel first introduced in Windows 95.

There's a lot of give and take, but all companies have provided value, and it's fallacious to just throw Microsoft out the window because "durr, they're a stoopid money grabbing corporation". Popularity and monetary success usually indicates that they did something right. It doesn't mean they do everything right, but they do enough.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The instructions for anyone using a 9530 (storm) are: highlight icon you don't want, click the bb button, click hide. There. You are done. It took you longer to read this than it will to accomplish that task. Anti-MS trolls, get over yourselves. Google is still the default search provider in the browser. Now what?

This is something that verizon does regularly (push shortcut icons to the phone) and frankly I could care less since it's just an option to get an app, you don't have to do anything more than the 4 second long operation listed above for it to go away forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.