Verizon iPhone 4 on Straight Talk

stolenmoments

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014
Bare with me...it's a little bit of explaining...:) I currently have a Verizon iPhone 4 on a contract and it's killing my wallet. It's the main phone on the account, the contract is up in November 2014 and I got it free as an upgrade a year ago. I also have a Samsung tablet, that's contract is done on feb 24, 2014...(just a few more days), and my son's phone, which was also free with upgrade and isn't up til next year.

First question: can I switch my iPhone to the line that's contract is almost up, so that I can end that contract with no fees, and be free and clear to try to switch it to straight talk? Because, from what I understand, (this is my first smart phone, so I'm relatively new to this) it's only illegal to unlock a contracted phone, but as long as you've cancelled your contract, you're safe...right?
Second question: There is obviously some debate about whether or not I could even bring my Verizon iPhone 4 over to Straight Talk. I got the Activation Kit from Walmart and the guy said that you didn't used to be able to switch them over, but you can now, as long as the phone isnt under contract. He said it would give me some code to switch it over. If I get started with any of this and find out that it cant be switched over or unlocked for whatever reason, is my iPhone a goner? (Assuming I can unlock it legally.)

These are our only phones, so I'm kinda nervous about screwing it up and I want as much info as possible, before I try anything. What is this business about making sure the EIN (?) is released...or something like that? I need to make sure I have this all situated.

I was toying with the idea of asking family for one of their old phones, so that I could activate theirs in place of my contracted iPhone, and that way I could make sure my iPhone works on Straight Talk before I go ahead and end my contract.

Any ideas and info is welcome. My iPhone works perfectly fine and I love it, so I'd like to keep it, if I could. I'm a single mom and it seems really stupid to fork up more money for another phone when this one works great, ya know?

Thanks for any ideas you might have! Hope I said everything clearly enough. :)

tamara_91

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

I think there's a simple way out :) you can use online factory unlock service if contract is already ending. factory unlock is the safest and easiest way to do that and if you find trusted site ask everything you wonder before you make an order ;) good luck