Verizon: iPhone is Digitally Clueless Beauty Queen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
The ad makes no since. 1. How is the iphone a beauty queen? It is either all black or white and flat? Not exactly a pink phone with diamond sparkles here. 2. I am sick of the droid crap. It is a crap phone. Crap keyboard, UI sucks and is slow, camera lense sucks no matter how many megapixel, battery cover falls off, auto focus sucks, media player is lame comapred to iphone's, not enough games or apps, limited to 500MB of app storage since you can't install to the microSD (possibley due to slow performance of microSD compared to built in storage), also limited to 16GB unless you purchase a $100 microsd, underlocked A8 CPU to 550mhz (compared to 600mhz), buggy OS according to reviews, lacks multi-touch where as other droid phones aren't, etc. The droid will not be good until atleast a second revision.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
The ad makes no since. 1. How is the iphone a beauty queen? It is either all black or white and flat? Not exactly a pink phone with diamond sparkles here. 2. I am sick of the droid crap. It is a crap phone. Crap keyboard, UI sucks and is slow, camera lense sucks no matter how many megapixel, battery cover falls off, auto focus sucks, media player is lame comapred to iphone's, not enough games or apps, limited to 500MB of app storage since you can't install to the microSD (possibley due to slow performance of microSD compared to built in storage), also limited to 16GB unless you purchase a $100 microsd, underlocked A8 CPU to 550mhz (compared to 600mhz), buggy OS according to reviews, lacks multi-touch where as other droid phones aren't, a browser that doesn't render some sites (even when this was supposed to be a selling point), etc. The droid will not be good until at least a second revision.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
My iPhone's really just an iPod anyway. The phone and call logging system's pretty weak, I generally a VoIP app on my computer for calls I want to make.

It works as a remote for iTunes on my PC.. I stream digital media (in spite of their attempts to prevent it).. and listen to several podcasts. Occasionally I use Mapquest or DirecTV's app. POP EMail rarely. I use it daily, but not so much as a phone. It's a little less awkward and functional than the RAZR and Palm combination I had been using. It has more media options than the Curve I used for a while.

I'm just glad I got it for free. I really don't care about looks, unlike the interior decorator types commenting above, a more "manly" look won't help me any if it doesn't have the utility.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have to agree that the DROID just looks more masculine. I'm a pretty big guy and i think i would just look silly holding an iPhone up to my face pushing icons with my finger.
I picked up a DROID a couple days ago and so far I love it. No complaints here.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
[citation][nom]peteve[/nom]glorfendel:i get it, there isn't one option that works for everyone and for your needs and likes, the iphone is what works best. i'm being honest when i say, good.but this article is about comparison of the two phones. and the iphone is being shown here in it's true light. it is known and common the iphone is technically a weak phone. . they look pretty but are dumb.[/citation]
How is it 'known' that the iphone is a 'weak' phone. Why don't you provide quotes from people in the business saying this. The iphone is not "weak" in the hardware sense... 600mhz Cortex A8, 256MB RAM, PowerVR SGX with VPU, GPS, 3.5" screen, bluetooth 2.0, fastest 3G HSDPA radio, etc. It is not "weak" in terms of usable apps. It is not weak in terms of customization, since I and many million have jailbroken. In terms of 3rd party support...nope. Why don't you really debate instead of posting your BS.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]rexoverbey[/nom]How is it 'known' that the iphone is a 'weak' phone.[/citation]

You actually like the call log and contact system? The dropped calls since it gets a weaker signal than a 5 year old razr I swap the SIM card to at times?

I use it more in spite of the phone subsystems than for it.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]accidental[/nom]I never really considered the handset 'appearance' category, but now that you think about it, the iPhone seems to be owned mostly by 1) women 2) male 'metrosexuals' and 3) homosexuals.[/citation]

I'm a 6'7'' 280 pound body builder who loves Microsoft to death, but i own an iphone. GG with your stereotypes "dearest comrade".

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Where would Verizon be with Blackberry storm, LG Dare, Android, without the iphone?? somewhere still in testing phases trying to make the next Palm OS

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Duno iPhone seems pretty awesome and does everything most people need. It is elegantly-designed, and has enormous versatility thanks to its app store. However, with half the comments against it being that only fags and women use it, and not the manly types that frequent internet tech forums, I know I have been wrong to have a positive opinion of the iPhone.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
they both look all right, but i love me touch pro 2 :) IM+ lets me connect to nearly any IM client out there, and core player lets me play anything except MKV files. that and the keyboard rocks... i hate messaging with nothing but a touch screen.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I'm a dinosaur when it comes to phones. I like real buttons and "ten-key". Laptops/netbooks are for internet. With real buttons and ten-key, I can send text one handed without even looking at my phone. cant do that with an iphone...or a droid...or a blackberry.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]I'm a 6'7'' 280 pound body builder who loves Microsoft to death, but i own an iphone. GG with your stereotypes "dearest comrade".[/citation]

As a 6'7" 280lb body builder you fall neatly into category #3 in his list :)

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Don't let Verizon create the discussion points. If you have something to say about the iPhone, say it yourself. Don't let clever marketing insert a provocative statement in your head that makes you want to agree with it.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]You actually like the call log and contact system? The dropped calls since it gets a weaker signal than a 5 year old razr I swap the SIM card to at times? I use it more in spite of the phone subsystems than for it.[/citation]

Call log? Really? What is wrong with the call log? What major advantage does Droid have with a call log? I get call logs and visual voicemail (iPhone feature) just fine. Dropped calls I never have received that must be a network problem in your area. Which brings me to something else... iphone is not limited to AT&T; outside of the US. There are carriers in Canada, Europe, Mexico, Japan, and China which are not AT&T and carry iphone. Even which AT&T has a bigger network global also, so you wouldn't even get a phone call in those countries with a droid. On top of that my area has HSPA 3G which is two times faster than the crap EVDO Verizon passes off as 3G. It is barely faster than EDGE (2.5G) and sometimes slower (should be called 2.6G). Lets see 7.2mbps vs 2.4mbps. Plus the original razors were known for their reception and I have compared mutliple phones to the iphone reception wise (Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, etc) and none had an advantage from my testing.

G

unfortunately the droid sucks. it doesn't have enough graphics power to scroll smoothly which is super annoying. would never buy it

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The cell phone radio (GSM/HSPA) in the iPhone 3GS is the most advanced radio ever created for a cell phone. If you want high quality phone calls the iPhone is the best phone money can buy. The iPhone also runs the most advanced operating system ever created. When it comes to mobile phones, nothing is better than Unix. Unix is the only mobile phone OS that never, ever crashes and it provides the best performance.

The Motorola Droid has a very serious bug. Voice commands don't work if you're using a bluetooth headset. The Droid also seems to be having the typical Motorola bugs like randomly freezing up hard. There's also the issue with the screen not coming back on after you take the phone away from your head. This means you can't end a call without removing the battery. The random hard freezes are a hardware problem, not a software problem and therefore can't be fixed until Motorola releases a new version of the Droid phone. This means you will probably either have to pay full price for a new phone or stick with a broken phone for two years.

And people say AT&T is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS