Verizon Nuked Froyo's Hotspot, Built-In Tethering

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Ready for Tether.com to get its Android version out of beta then lol

Good thing I already have a license with them from my bb storm (replaced with Droid Incredible)

DennisAley

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
What happened to "Droid does"? I'm pretty sure last time I went on the Droid site it had a "Deactivating Compromise" progress bar and a "Droid goes beyond bounds" slogan. Verizon FAILED with this move, BIG TIME.

Have you ever heard of all the app in the market that enable wifi tether if you have ROOT? Well then It's possible right? "Hardware not capable" BS.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Its pretty much prevalent in just about ALL US based carriers. They are so stuck being stingy with any innovation the rest of the world must think we're from the stone age with hugely expensive plans, and in many cases, feeble features.Call it a throwback to the days when the phone monopolies didn't want anything to do with ISDN/DSL, just selling businesses their $3000/mo T1 lines.Maybe if the FCC is given some back up and tells carriers, "Compete on service, no more locked in contracts, no more locked in phones." we'll see a bit better service.[/citation]

What they prolly think is that US carriers are a bunch of GREEDY f@cks and are glad they don't have to live with our corporate BS in their country

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Regardless of my thumb rating, this just has to be said: You guys that are complaining about this sound like a bunch of spoiled kids. Verizon's network (or ANY network for that matter) CANNOT support that kind of bandwidth that tethering adds to it's network for free. NO amount of complaining, arguing, badmouthing Verizon, or temper-tantrums will change that.This move should come as no surprise to anyone who follows this kind of stuff. Yes, Verizon wants to make more money off of tethering (like every other cell phone service), but the main reason they can't add tethering is because it would utterly destroy their network if everyone could do it. When people have to pay extra for it, not nearly as many will use it.[/citation]
What can the average person really do about this? I read complaints and complaints about complaints... There always the guy saying just complaining not enough... Since you happen obviously be in the know educate us Tom's hardware readers on what can we do and how?

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Just be glad we arn't forced to use VZ Navigator![/citation]
Haha trust me i'm very glad!

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dennisaley[/nom] Have you ever heard of all the app in the market that enable wifi tether if you have ROOT? Well then It's possible right? "Hardware not capable" BS.[/citation]

Do any of those apps turn it into a Hotspot? A hotspot being something that can have more than one WiFi device connect to it at a time to use the data connection AND allow those connections without using a client side program.

G

I currently am running a Moto Droid - original and it's rooted and has Wifi tethering which works wonderfully. I'm also running the real Froyo not Verizon's hacked up version. It is indeed a WiFi hotspot as I just connected 3 laptops at work to it and all had decent internet speed. Verizon can bite me! When we ditch RIM and got to Android I'll just root all our phones and give them the WiFi enabled kernel and the wifi tethering app.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
When Google declined to bring the Nexus1 over to Verizons network, I stated (and got flamed for stating) that the reason it wasn't coming over is because Google would not cripple their showcase phone for a carrier. Verizon wants it crippled, Google would not do it, so the two companies were at an impasse.

Now we see that happening again, but Motorola is caving in to Verizons cripple demands.

We need to separate phones from providers in this country or this is only going to get more and more common.

DennisAley

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]dokonewski[/nom]I currently am running a Moto Droid - original and it's rooted and has Wifi tethering which works wonderfully. I'm also running the real Froyo not Verizon's hacked up version. It is indeed a WiFi hotspot as I just connected 3 laptops at work to it and all had decent internet speed. Verizon can bite me! When we ditch RIM and got to Android I'll just root all our phones and give them the WiFi enabled kernel and the wifi tethering app.[/citation]
[citation][nom]orionantares[/nom]Do any of those apps turn it into a Hotspot? A hotspot being something that can have more than one WiFi device connect to it at a time to use the data connection AND allow those connections without using a client side program.Hi orionantares,
If you open the market app and search for "wifi tether" you will get some apps(requires rooting to intall them) that will let you do just that. I use a Motorola droid with cyanogen root and Barnacle wifi tether, and I can connect my laptop and iPod touch to the wifi hotspot on my droid. With Barnacle you can customize the name of your network, add a WEP passkey, change LAN/WAN settings and more. [/citation]
Hi orionantares,
If you open the market app and search for "wifi tether" you will get some apps(requires rooting to intall them) that will let you do just that. I use a Motorola droid with cyanogen root and Barnacle wifi tether, and I can connect my laptop and iPod touch to the wifi hotspot on my droid. With Barnacle you can customize the name of your network, add a WEP passkey, change LAN/WAN settings and more.

Hope that helped,
Dennis

G

I use wireless hot spot on my PalmPrePlus on the verizon network and it works very well.. for just the cost of the 30$ data plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.