Verizon Raising FiOS Speed With New Prices in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]I see what you did there Tom.... "Tomshardware pirate approved"?? LOL[/citation]

Or download legally through one of the many digital distributors?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If Verizon says they'll be raising your rate (I've heard they are), threaten to cancel, and see if they give you a lower rate. Works every time...

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Totally worth it if you sell internet service to your neighbors. Sell service to the four closest neighbors for 25% of the cost each and you get free service. They are already paying that much for their internet service anyway. Why would they not want to get faster internet for the same price?

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Jesus I pay like 35 for 3mbps with comcast......I need to move where Verizon has coverage now....I would certainly pay twice as much for 100x's the speed

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
If anything I hope this causes price-gouging companies like Cox to finally get with the times with realistic prices. $60/mo for 30 mbps and $100/mo for 50 mbps is getting pretty ridiculous in a time when those are quickly becoming low tier speeds compared to FiOS.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
[citation][nom]turbolover22[/nom]Totally worth it if you sell internet service to your neighbors. Sell service to the four closest neighbors for 25% of the cost each and you get free service. They are already paying that much for their internet service anyway. Why would they not want to get faster internet for the same price?[/citation]
I'm pretty sure this is against Verizon's TOS. If they do catch you, then, well, you were warned.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]If anything I hope this causes price-gouging companies like Cox to finally get with the times with realistic prices. $60/mo for 30 mbps and $100/mo for 50 mbps is getting pretty ridiculous in a time when those are quickly becoming low tier speeds compared to FiOS.[/citation]
Okay, I think you guys are getting confused. Just because FiOS offers fast speeds, doesn't mean it's cheap.

A quick check on Verizon's site shows:
15/5 service: $55/mo
25/25 service: $75/mo
50/20 service: $145/mo
150/35 service: $200/mo

So yeah, you can get fast-as-hell service with FiOS, but you pay out the ass for it. $60/mo for 30mbps and $100/mo for 50mbps is really good in comparison.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]If Verizon says they'll be raising your rate (I've heard they are), threaten to cancel, and see if they give you a lower rate. Works every time...[/citation]

That only works if you didnt initially sign up for the cheaper, guaranteed price of the 2 year contract. Although Cablevision here in NY used to actually pay off the FIOS "early termination fee" if you came back to them. Not sure if they are doing that anymore.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
FYI, in Washington DC area they are offering a "switch to FiOS Triple Play" options that include 15/5, 25/25, or 35/35" Yes is that the same up as down for the last two. They do mention the "up to 150/35 Mbps available at additional monthly cost" Not sure I'd want to switch from Comcast, but this did get me thinking about it again. Still not sure about the fact I have to give up my hard line using power from their switch that has backup power from UPS backed up with a generator vs the little UPS they provide to users. Even though I have an APC rack mounted UPS that would last 3-8hrs before their UPS had to kick in...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Okay, I think you guys are getting confused. Just because FiOS offers fast speeds, doesn't mean it's cheap.A quick check on Verizon's site shows:15/5 service: $55/mo25/25 service: $75/mo50/20 service: $145/mo150/35 service: $200/moSo yeah, you can get fast-as-hell service with FiOS, but you pay out the ass for it. $60/mo for 30mbps and $100/mo for 50mbps is really good in comparison.[/citation]
That doesn't factor in bundling. We use Verizon for TV, internet, home and cell phones. It's a MUCH better deal if you bundle, and it puts it right in the ballpark of competing cable TV/phone/internet packages.

You're also only talking about bandwidth. To me bandwidth is nice, and I need a certain amount of it, but latency is king. When it comes to latency cable and DSL can't touch fiber, and I play games online.

I have used cable and DSL in the past in this area, and they suck. DSL was fairly reliable, but very slow and gaming sucks while someone else is using it to stream a netflix movie. Cable, well in my area the cable monopoly was handed from Prestige to Adelphia and finally Comcast and they all sucked. Terrible reliability. Maybe they're better in other regions.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Zukincu13e[/nom]Man when is this amazing service coming to all of the San Gabriel Valley.[/citation]

Probably not for a long time. Back in 2010 Verizon announced they were winding down their expansion of FiOS coverage. If your area never got it, it's unlikely they'll be entering your region any time soon. From what I understand it's really expensive for them to build out the FiOS network and it takes them several years to make their money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.