Verizon to Switch to Tiered Plans this Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I fail to understand tiered plans. Sure they make the companies more money, but with everything being online now they just do not make sense. The companies need to invest more into infrastructure to provide bandwidth necessary for next generation communication/computing. We make strides forward in achieving new speeds, but when it comes to providing the level of access that our current culture of media/news/entertainment dictates we seem to be stumbling backwards. This is disappointing.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Less money for you regardless, for less service.Gotta love it.[/citation]

actually...it's more money and less service...

consumers are paying either paying same or higher due to "4G upgrade" but getting less service via bandwidth cap...

all these cellular companies act as if the average data useage from smartphones actually hurts them. I have a rather low plan 450 anytime, unlimited internet and i still pay over ninety dollars a month! I'm willing to gander that at least half of that cash is pure profit (if not like 80%!) so where is all the extra money going besides into some executivevs pocket? if the infrastructure isn't in place to handle the traffic (haven't they been upgrading it?) then the company needs to get with the program. such mobile data is the future and there is no use in backpeddling now.

G

The problem is the top 5% us so much data that it bogs down the network and internet experience for the other 95% I'm actually looking forward to this because I will probably be able to pay less than $30 a month and still wont have to worry about reaching a cap and I use internet on my phone quite a bit.

toughbook

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I wonder what they are going to do with the one's that signed up on the Unlimited Plan when they got the iPhone in January? I have never seen where Verizon changed someone's plan until it expired.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
This sucks, but it makes sense. Unless you're actively focusing on limiting the amount of data you consume with a smartphone, it's very easy to get carried away. Little things throughout the day add up: Internet browsing, Facebook, Pandora, Youtube. Every bit of it puts pressure on Verizon's network and truthfully it's very smart of them to be proactive about usage before it gets out of hand like it did with AT&T.

ansar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
"We didn't really want to put up a barrier to anybody who wanted to come over and experience the Verizon Wireless network," Shammo said.

So now no one will be able to experience the network? :)

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]This sucks, but it makes sense. Unless you're actively focusing on limiting the amount of data you consume with a smartphone, it's very easy to get carried away. Little things throughout the day add up: Internet browsing, Facebook, Pandora, Youtube. Every bit of it puts pressure on Verizon's network and truthfully it's very smart of them to be proactive about usage before it gets out of hand like it did with AT&T.[/citation]

What, do you work for a wireless company in the billing innovations department?
More money and less service sucks no matter what. If you want a cheaper data plan get one and leave the unlimited alone.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
This does not make any sense. They have started unlimited, so EVERYONE wants to get off AT&T because their network is clogged and capped and move to Verizon. Now you signed with us... ehem... will change the things a bit... I'm sure the contract allows them to change the rules.

Off topic: Gotta love toms... A spam message from "gtrfhfghfghjk" shows OK but "silverado876" post is greyed out because it's an anonymous or new user. So we don't care about his post.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hate that can't edit: I've meant "This does make sense"
And be prepared for a network that will be clogged too. So clogged and capped like AT&T. You'll ask to come back. There will be a map for that too.

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]three0duster[/nom]What, do you work for a wireless company in the billing innovations department?More money and less service sucks no matter what. If you want a cheaper data plan get one and leave the unlimited alone.[/citation]

More money and less service DOES suck, period. Luckily, it would be retarded--COMPLETELY FRICKIN' RETARDED--of them to continue charging $30 for whatever the highest level of bandwidth they're intending to provide. When AT&T dropped unlimited usage, they also reduced the price by $5. It's not much, but it's a far cry from "more money".

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
In the cable industry the real issue was "how can we charge more and make more money" and not bandwidth limitations. Sure, there were a few locations where current infrastructure was getting near the limit, but those could easily be upgraded by the profit being made at those locations. So, make no mistake, this is pure greed at the expense of the public.

And this "bait and switch" also keeps out anyone who might challenge their monopoly. This is the same as when Microsoft gave away Windows 1.0 for two years. Only those with very deep pockets can compete. So "free market" is just an illusion. I wish we would wake up and get a real government to address these destructive corporations.

G

I've noticed another trend at verizon. They are now offering preinstalled sd cards in their android phones that are MUCH smaller than they were just a month ago. I had to get my droid x replaced yesterday and noticed that they changed all the display model info cards to say they had 2gb sd cards in them instead of the 16gb I got with mine. The price for the phones haven't gone down a cent either.

Glad I got mine early with a 16gb card.

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
This may seem like a crazy prediction, but imagine a point in the not-too-distant future where we are all carrying a simple hotspot device for all our offsite comunication (for phones, pads, tablets, etc.). The only purpose of this device is to bridge to a service provider that offers only internet access at prices much more affordable than phone companies are offering now. The small device (about the size of a keychain fob) will be configured on a/your/their computer so that it has only one button and an indicator light. Once pressed.. ..instant hotspot for all your online devices.

Hey, I can dream, right?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]tonydu[/nom]In the cable industry the real issue was "how can we charge more and make more money" and not bandwidth limitations. Sure, there were a few locations where current infrastructure was getting near the limit, but those could easily be upgraded by the profit being made at those locations. So, make no mistake, this is pure greed at the expense of the public.And this "bait and switch" also keeps out anyone who might challenge their monopoly. This is the same as when Microsoft gave away Windows 1.0 for two years. Only those with very deep pockets can compete. So "free market" is just an illusion. I wish we would wake up and get a real government to address these destructive corporations.[/citation]
Personally, I think this extends far beyond the telecom industry. Everywhere, you will see less product for more money. Next time your favorite food product changes packaging, note product weight for the new package vs the product weight for the old package.

Even in ordinary business, this applies. Many businesses are always asking employees for more output with either the same or less pay. And need I mention Wisconsin?

Sooner or later, less of whatever for more money is going to seriously break things in the economy in my opinion. I don't have any answers, but it is likely creating a wider gap between the haves and the have nots. Where will it stop? Will we end up paying per byte, or per atom? Will anyone anywhere be able to afford anything if the trend continues?

Time will tell, but I think less of anything for more money is a symptom of a much greater problem.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thats okay, campus is covered in WiFi so it wont matter for me for a few years, but im going to be upset if $30 doesnt get you much data to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.