Verizon's Netflix Killer is Redbox Instant, Coming December

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Well, if it's $1 rentals just like Redbox, then I'm in. Netflix and Amazon just doesn't have the content that I want any more. Actually, you can find almost everything that Netflix has on Amazon and vice versa.

Couple things I hate about Amazon......it's so unorganized and the App is only available on the iPad and their Kindle Fire, but I get free 2 day shipping and sometimes extra discount off Amazon stuff.

Things I hate about Netflix.......content is boring now, but easy for kids to use.

ksharp25

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Standy for a firestorm if Verizon Wirless "exempts" streaming via this app because its not part of your data cap since it would reside on an "internal private IP" network BS that Time Warner and other paywall competitors are using as an excuse for TV Anywhere and similar offerings.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Err, Amazon instant streaming is available on PS3 and works nicely. Not just on ipad and kindle.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Things I hate about Netflix.......content is boring now, but easy for kids to use.[/citation]Yes, it feels like you have to be either older than about 30 or younger than 15 to find something of interest to you on Netflix. Fortunately I'm 41 and my kids are about 10 so Netflix is ideal for us. That combined with some PPV recent movies once in a while, and we're not watching regular TV at all anymore.

p3t3or

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I like Redbox, but loath Verizon. I want to like this but I cannot bring myself to because of Verizon. If Verizon stays true to form, they will find a way to nickle and dime you to oblivion and I suspect that their prices will rise every year (if not more frequently than that).

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]andrewc513[/nom]Ok, time out before everyone gets their panties in a wad. Verizon ≠ Verizon Wireless.[/citation]
its the same parent company. their customer money-milking behavior will be the same.
get a clue?

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Well, if it's $1 rentals just like Redbox, then I'm in.[/citation]
Ditto here, but I don't think that's in the cards because the movie industry won't allow it.

It seems silly 'to me' after all these years of broadband that I either have to burn gas to pick-up a $1.20 to $1.50 (BluRay) at Redbox, or the shipping back and forth to Netflix. Eirther way it's such a waste and not 'click' convenient.

Currently I use 'many of the above' - Neflix (DVD + Steaming), Redbox on occasion (late fees suck and I now own several Redbox DVD's), tried but don't like HULU (paying to watch commercials??; free fine), HBO/MAX/etc on demand (yeah I have FiOS/Verizon), and I've tried Amazon and a few others.

Currently, the Verizon 'On Demand' service is very expensive at $5.99, and most of the time I'll either wait until Netflix or Redbox offers the DVD. Something great like Avenger's I'll buy.

So from Verizon the only cost and convenience issue to me the the $5.99 vs $1.50 vs Netflix and they don't need a partnership with Redbox for that issue, the only substitute would be $1.50 On Demand and a $7.99/mo substitute for Netflix and an Unlimited Rental @ kiosk.

Otherwise I think success will be a mixed-bag in their partnership.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
One more thing, Redbox selection is a fraction of what Netflix has to offer.

If I were Netflix the solution is to offer all their movie content On Demand, or add Premium $1.00 -$1.50 SD/HD with new DVD's and eliminate the shipping. - Just a thought.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]geof2001[/nom]Get a Roku then you can do Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu, pandora and many many many more.[/citation]

Or get a PC and you can do at least that many.

wholemkt4

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

put this url in google sirch

( http://www.wholesalemkt.net/ )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.