Very weird problems with Wharfedale EVP-X215P

Sep 7, 2018
Symptoms;
While playing music at low volume a scratchy noise builds up mainly in the middle speaker, however increasing the volume to around 50% and then back down reduces the scratching completely, but it slowly returns in about 20-40 seconds.

When I push on the middle speaker when it is turned off, but while the speaker is attached, I get a crackling noise from it, the tweeter and very low noise from the sub.
When I push on the middle speaker when it is NOT attached, there is no noise.
I have swapped the mids around and the symptoms travel with that speaker.
Clearly there is something wrong with that mid speaker. I'm stumped why pushing it causes it and the other speakers to make a scratchy sound and why it doesn't make any scratchy sounds when unattached.

This is what they look like: https://gitarownia.pl/product-pol-8516-Wharfedale-EVP-X215P-para-uzywanych-kolumn-aktywnych-400W.html

Any ideas what could be the cause and how to repair it if possible?

When you push on the cone with the woofer connected it becomes a voltage generator that the other speakers can "playback". That's an electrical "signal" not the mechanical grinding noise that you would get when the woofer is disconnected.
The voice coil of the mid woofer is not completely blown. The shape of the voice coil has been distorted or the spider is bad The woofer can be rebuilt or replaced.
Contact Whafedale Pro to price a new one and then try
www.millersound.com
and price the repair. They do great work and might be able to save you some money.

Sep 7, 2018
Thanks for the replay.

When you push on the cone with the woofer connected it becomes a voltage generator that the other speakers can "playback". That's an electrical "signal" not the mechanical grinding noise that you would get when the woofer is disconnected.
:: I’m not sure if we are on the same page. There are 3 speakers and an amp in 1 box.
https://gitarownia.pl/product-pol-8516-Wharfedale-EVP-X215P-para-uzywanych-kolumn-aktywnych-400W.html
(It’s an active speaker) What I mean by “attached” is literally referring to the 2 cables that go internally from the speaker to the shared amp. When I push on the mid of the other speaker (right side/channel) there is no sound. The problem must be with the mid on the left side. As stated, when I switch the mids around the problem moves to the other side. Why would the one mid become a voltage generator but not the other one?

The voice coil of the mid woofer is not completely blown. The shape of the voice coil has been distorted or the spider is bad.
:: I have watched various vid of speakers with those problems and none of them fit the symptoms I’m experiencing.
1) A crackling sound is noticeable only at low volume then disappears temporarily (20-40 second) after the volume is increased to about 50% for just a second or two?
2) If I unattached the mid and push it for a while then re attach it, the scratching sound (while in use) does not return for several uses. However if pushed while attached (not in use) the scratching sound can be heard in all 3 speakers in the same box.

The woofer can be rebuilt or replaced.
:: The woofer is most definitely not the problem, I push both of them and there is no scratchy sound in the mids or tweeters.

I hope this clarification is helpful.