Vice President Joe Biden to Meet with Gun and Games Industry Groups to Help Reso

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
+1 thecolorblue, people are just going insane and have been taught by society that life cheap. Games are just that, games, not real, they are fake, everyone knows they are fake. How many people have dropped a piano on someones head to kill them and how many people have seen that done since infancy on cartoons when they were born? If i had to guess, it would be a lot more people have seen the piano scenes more than Master Chief blowing an alien away.

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
When are people going to stop blaming everything and everyone they can for these atrocities? It's not the fault of guns, it's not the fault of video games, it's not the fault of other violent media. Politicizing these events is awful. Sick people do sick things. All we can try to do is get them the help they desperately need before something bad happens.

G

I am a gun owner. I have played more than my share of violent games (and still do) and seen a near equal amount of violent movies, Yet, I have not gone on a shooting rampage for the better half of 3 decades. I'm quite sure the issue lies far beyond entertainment mediums although some would like you to believe otherwise.

Furthermore, a weapon of any sort placed on a table will not hurt anyone. It's the person who eventually picks up the weapon is what makes it potentially dangerous.

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I've played the original Doom when I was in kinder. Played Counter-Strike since beta around fourth grade. I developed this desire to shoot people and now have a potential to be a mass murderer. NOT. Been to the firing range a couple times and I'm scared as **** to even shoot a handgun.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Dude, for real? Now we are going to blame video games for mass shootings? Isn't it ironic that countries that implemented gun bans experienced higher violent crime percentages? Now, you want to attack the video game industry, because somebody's parents didn't do their job? Next thing you know, we'll start banning spoons for making people fat.

G

What it comes down to is that well adjusted people will not be affected by video game or movie/TV violence, however that can't be said for those that already have a screw loose. The issue is identifying those individuals and finding help for them before they realize, "Hey, no one has a gun here, time for some Deathmatch against some noobs.".

jubas

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Alright, so the gaming industry is gonna take the fall.
Because, you know, ever since violent video games popped up in the market way back in the day, the frequency of violent incidents per year was suddenly boosted by 2000%.

Go take a friggin' hike.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I kill people everynight sometime before and after dinner. I have been known to kill NPCs even when didnt have to, just to see what kind of a mess it makes. I have been playing VGs since I was 5 and have seen my fair share of violent movies. I havent once felt the need to shoot up a school. Whats needed here is birth control not gun control. These idiots who have kids and then let the computers, movies and other people raise their kids for them. Im going to keep killing people, less mess on my PC anyway. Im sure my aim is better too. Violence is human nature, teaching someone how to deal with their anger is the key, and thats never going to happen. I mean you can't put any rational to the CT shooting at all. There is no sense in it, but these assholes in washington will try to put a label on it so they can add more laws and piss off the people who pay all the bills for the people who don't

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]noobzilla771[/nom]I've played the original Doom when I was in kinder. Played Counter-Strike since beta around fourth grade. I developed this desire to shoot people and now have a potential to be a mass murderer. NOT. Been to the firing range a couple times and I'm scared as **** to even shoot a handgun.[/citation]

Unfortunately there is a link between violent video games and teens that commit gun violence. Gov't needs to promote harsh penalties for parents allowing their kids access to their fire arms. Any parent that is clueless that their kid is stockpiling weapons or showing hostile intentions need to have the book thrown at them.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]NukeThemTilTheyGlow[/nom]I am a gun owner. I have played more than my share of violent games (and still do) and seen a near equal amount of violent movies, Yet, I have not gone on a shooting rampage for the better half of 3 decades. I'm quite sure the issue lies far beyond entertainment mediums although some would like you to believe otherwise.Furthermore, a weapon of any sort placed on a table will not hurt anyone. It's the person who eventually picks up the weapon is what makes it potentially dangerous.[/citation]

Whats really funny is that if assault weapons had not been available he would have used hand guns and if they had not been available he would of used a bomb or an axe or a teaspoon. Guns dont kill people, people kill people.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Unfortunately there is a link between violent video games and teens that commit gun violence [/citation]

There is a stronger and more demonstrable link between teens that commit gun violence and teens who have access to firearms.

Video games exist all over the world, yet only in the country that has almost one gun per head of population do these atrocities occur.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
[citation][nom]captjack5169[/nom] Guns dont kill people, people kill people.[/citation]

Don't be a buffoon, People with guns kill people.

G

Why isn't he meeting with Big Pharma to discuss the dangerous psychotropic drugs prescribed to every one of these mass shooters? Maybe because they are too big of a campaign contributor?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]captjack5169[/nom]I kill people everynight sometime before and after dinner. I have been known to kill NPCs even when didnt have to, just to see what kind of a mess it makes. I have been playing VGs since I was 5 and have seen my fair share of violent movies. I havent once felt the need to shoot up a school. Whats needed here is birth control not gun control. These idiots who have kids and then let the computers, movies and other people raise their kids for them. Im going to keep killing people, less mess on my PC anyway. Im sure my aim is better too. Violence is human nature, teaching someone how to deal with their anger is the key, and thats never going to happen. I mean you can't put any rational to the CT shooting at all. There is no sense in it, but these assholes in washington will try to put a label on it so they can add more laws and piss off the people who pay all the bills for the people who don't[/citation]

Seriously, dude, you just categorized your own parents with your comment! Just take a second to read what you just posted!

As mentioned people kill people. Driving a car while intoxicated is identical to a loaded gun!

But maybe just maybe there's a link between DUI and video games

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
It seems to me that the findings of Biden's committee have already been predetermined. They keep talking about banning certain types of weapons and limiting clip sizes. Chatting with the NRA, video game industry, and Hollywood likely will not change their mind. It seems to me that all this is going on for show.

It'd be nice if we actually looked into why this person was allowed to try to buy guns so many times, was rejected over and over again, but nobody bothered to actually take a hint that something might have been wrong. It'd be nice if we could get the truth about what weapons were left behind in the vehicle and which ones were actually used. It'd be nice if we studied the positive benefits of video games and shooters instead of just focusing on the potential negative impact for a small subset of the population. It'd be nice if we treated individuals like individuals and recognized this was an isolated incident that no one-size-fits-all solution can take care of. It'd be nice if we had an honest discussion about healthcare and mental health rather than ramming through big ideas and industry handouts instead of actually improving the results of patient care.

Status
Not open for further replies.