VIDEO: An Atari 2600 Turned Into a Rockin Rave Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Original idea of making an Atari 2600 into an Atari synthesizer. I don't think I could rock out to this, but it has an eerie familiarity. I think I can identify most all of the tones generated from my childhood in the 70s. :)

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]This is the beginning of digital jazz : )[/citation]

Are you kidding me? It sounds like 8-bit dubstep.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Atari 2600s still sell for a pretty good chunk of change on eBay.

A few weeks ago I got a never used one for only $135 on eBay. I guess no one believed him (I didn't either, but I bid anyway for some reason). But, it's really new.

There's definitely still a market for them for just the reason there was originally. They are simple and fun. Just like life used to be :p .

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]This is the beginning of digital jazz : )[/citation]
Having just watched Tron Legacy again just the other day, I heard that comment in Jeff Bridges' voice. It amused me, at any rate :)

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]How many people here even remember the 2600. Back in the day of one joystick and one fire button. Games were simple and it was fun. I had one and about 40 games by the time it ran its course from 1979 to about 83 good times.[/citation]

Spent way too much time on one myself - wore out joysticks, ended up getting a third party one (with button on top,) two (up to four) paddles, the keypad (with Star Raiders) and *lots* of games... had to leave it behind in a limited-space move. Greatly regretted.

G

all im saying is that if F********* amazing, love what you have done, and like your music alot.

G

By the way, Atari 2600 has seen another commercial release in late 2010, being nothing else than the legendary Boulder Dash :)

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Had mine second-hand and loved it. Got damaged after a few years, and it wasn't until I took the machine apart that I realized just how small the control logic was. The build quality on those machines was nice. I bet I still have the imprints from that joystick lol..the thing could have flown space shuttles, it was so strong. The one thing that got me though was that the games weren't that cheap at the local super store (Amazon then was nothing more than a huge river), so we had to get them second-hand or wait until Christmas. I remember having Pac-man and driving the folks crazy because we were always playing it too loud, same for that game called Berzerk.

The sound was cool at the time but I am not too keen on this mod. Nice that he is keeping the machine going (and it looks like he's an Amiga fan, another awesome piece of kit, one that was waaaay ahead of it's time).

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Collaborate with a ZX Spectrum! Imagine the opportunities.. probably sound 10 times better than Justin Baby-face Bieber.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
We played the heck out of ours... got it with space invaders for Christmas the year it was released and I don't think we did anything else for a week.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Ah the memories. Did my first assembler baby steps on that one.
Peek and Poke had a different -innocent- meaning then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.