video editing on a notebook

G

I have a passable but upgradable desktop video editing system (Athlon XP 1800+, AK35GTR, 512MB Non-ECC RAM, 3x Maxtor D740X 40GB, Radeon 7000, generic Firewire card from eBay...), exporting to CD, DV, and S-VHS. Since I'm just getting started, I decided not to spend too much money on components until I developed a familiarity with video editing requirements. My next steps are to get a better video card and a real video capture card.

However, I also need to purchase a notebook computer to take care of print media, communications, doc management, and all that sort of stuff while I'm on the road. I don't need a killer notebook for that stuff, but if a slightly more expensive notebook could allow me to do video editing on the road, it would certainly give me increased ability to customize products for clients and to make last minute changes. My question: is there a realistic/practical notebook video editing solution, or am I better off spending less on the notebook and getting better components for my desktop?

G

Look for a notbook with a Fire wire/DV input.
Most of the new models have them.

Any Laptop from 700Mhz is supposed to be able to edit DV video without any big problem.

You will need a big hard drive.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>