Solved! Advice on returning laptop for video editing

Snicholas

Great
Mar 2, 2022
Hi guys,
I am an artist with plans to do video editing/music production/special FX. I have little spare money so I will most likely buy a second hand laptop in the future, refurbish it (I have no previous experience) and run Linux on it.

Presumably for video editing/creative software, a laptop refurb would require better graphics card, processor, RAM?

It appears that the processors in laptops are soldered in, not sure about the other parts, however it looks very straight forward to remove them and install new ones with the correct tools. Is this correct?
All the best
Nick

Solution
Hi guys,
I am an artist with plans to do video editing/music production/special FX. I have little spare money so I will most likely buy a second hand laptop in the future, refurbish it (I have no previous experience) and run Linux on it.

Presumably for video editing/creative software, a laptop refurb would require better graphics card, processor, RAM?

It appears that the processors in laptops are soldered in, not sure about the other parts, however it looks very straight forward to remove them and install new ones with the correct tools. Is this correct?
All the best
Nick

Refurbishing a system is not really what you think it is for laptops, it's basically replacing dead parts, cleaning it up and installing a clean operating...
Hi guys,

All the best
Nick

Refurbishing a system is not really what you think it is for laptops, it's basically replacing dead parts, cleaning it up and installing a clean operating system on it. It almost never is upgrading it, especially with laptops where most don't have upgradable CPUs or video cards.

For a lower budget, get a desktop, of the speed you want to begin with, unless you already know what parts you will be upgrading and the costs for them.

Solution