EARLtheSQIRREL

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
I have a computer with amd fx-6300 3.5 ghz processor, 960 gtx 2gb,500gb hdd and 8gb of ram. If i was to buy more ram lets say 8gb more would that make rendering videos faster?

EARLtheSQIRREL

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

I was going to try to do some YouTube videos(on Sony Vegas 11) but it takes more than 30 min to render a 5-10 min video and my 8 year old laptop goes at about the same speed...

Are you using lots of effects? Enable GPU rendering if you are. Again, if your projects require a lot of RAM, adding more will speed up rendering significantly. How long a video is, is not an indication of how much RAM it needs. In Photoshop for instance, 8 GB of RAM is hardly enough, as 99% efficiency is slowing down your entire workflow. by about 100x, compared to 100% efficiency. You generally don't want to bottle neck any component in an editing system. Your main bottle neck right now is your hard drive, not necessarily RAM, even though your projects happens to require more RAM.

EARLtheSQIRREL

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

I have tried gpu acceleration and I don't add any affects it's just the video from the folder to the program and if I could get one or the other(ram or hdd) what should I get to help for now.

A second hard drive, preferably an SSD, which will be used as a scratch drive, that's literally it. The goal is to offload data being written to your main OS drive, which does significantly reduce performance. Ideal would be a dedicated OS drive, dedicated scratch drive, dedicated media drive, dedicated export drive. But one step at a time. I would research this if I were you.

EARLtheSQIRREL

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

I have a 128gb Samsung evo ssd but everytime I try to use it it says I have to transfer my files into it and it doesn't have enough space to hold it all

gotovato

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
How many drives do you have? Ideally you want 3. One to hold your os and editing software(usually an ssd) you can setup the scratch disk to use that drive. Then you one a drive to hold source footage, then a third drive to render to. Reading and writing to the same drive while rendering is a HUGE bottleneck. Ram might help a bit but you should monitor your ram usage and see if you're using all 8gb. Often ram isn't the limiter when rendering. While scrubbing time lines, and ram rendering footage or effects is when you'll eat up memory like no tomorrow. As soon as ram is full it moves data to the cache drive(scratch disk) and this results in a slow down. But that's only while working on the time line.

EARLtheSQIRREL

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015

Ok thanks for your time and answers!