VIDEO: Gameloft Rips WoW for iOS MMORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Well, to be fair, almost all MMORPGs are rips from WoW. You really can't get around it anymore. It's like making a TV show and trying not to duplicate something the The Simpsons did during one of their episodes.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
While I would agree that more and more things are becoming derivatives today (its all been done before right?) I would definitely say what Gameloft is doing goes far beyond derivative into the world of theft.

I think most of their games sell because real gamers are sad they are away from actual game machines and will even take their crap just to be able to play something while on the road. I would never forgo PC or 360 game time in favor of iOS gaming.

PS Gameloft has the worst voice acting ever. I tried playing one of their Final Fantasy rip off games and the voice acting all on its own made me give up on the game to keep my sanity.

shakl

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I like how their budget graphic exploding words only spell out "MMORPG" Finally! Knowing what that string of confusing letters means I'm gonna pick this game up and play it FOR ETERNITY!

Just kidding, you fail, your game fails, and your advertising fails. You do not pass go you do not collect $200.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Well, to be fair, almost all MMORPGs are rips from WoW. You really can't get around it anymore. It's like making a TV show and trying not to duplicate something the The Simpsons did during one of their episodes.[/citation]
Can't agree with you there. WoW is only known because it has become the mainstream MMO for the casuals. Everquest and Ultima Online had a lot of the foundations of an MMO down, and I agree with ikefu that most things are derivatives now. Just new examples are games like Tera and Dragon's Nest, they use a crosshair for targeting like a FPS in combat instead of tab targeting found in many other mmos. It's all an evolution of ideas and thoughts, not b/c of one single game.

Btw, fps targetting in MMO for pvp = awesome x10

marvelfin

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Yeah, when did WoW become the first MMORPG? UO was the first and EQ was the one most others have emulated and improved upon, including WoW.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Bummer. For Blizzard that is. Hey, there is consumer demand for games. Who knew?. Gameloft is stepping up to fill a void other companies are leaving wide open. Maybe "casual gamer" money isn't worth the effort? Blizzard can have more of my money, it doesn't even have to make something original, all it has to do is port over a few old games.

I guess it could be worse, there were literally dozens of farming apps in the iOS store before Zynga woke up and realized there was money to be made.

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Well, to be fair, almost all MMORPGs are rips from WoW. You really can't get around it anymore. It's like making a TV show and trying not to duplicate something the The Simpsons did during one of their episodes.[/citation]

I would expect nothing less than a statement like this from a WoW fanboi. So uneducated yet so common amung the instant gratification era of gamers (read younger Gen Y)...

As others have said, apart from MUD's, UO came first and then EQ...WoW was just able to suck in and exploit the casual/instant gratification gamers but did not come "first" or "lead the way" in anything other than making money from these gamers.

Nothing to be proud of in my books...just smart business from Blizard.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]Can't agree with you there. WoW is only known because it has become the mainstream MMO for the casuals. Everquest and Ultima Online had a lot of the foundations of an MMO down, and I agree with ikefu that most things are derivatives now. Just new examples are games like Tera and Dragon's Nest, they use a crosshair for targeting like a FPS in combat instead of tab targeting found in many other mmos. It's all an evolution of ideas and thoughts, not b/c of one single game.Btw, fps targetting in MMO for pvp = awesome x10[/citation]

EQ definitely had some good ol fashioned Nintendo Hard going on. I think it's a shame most MMOs now are just trying to be WoW clones because I personally never cared for WoW. I keep hoping a new MMO will come out that will grab me like the original EQ did but I keep getting disappointed with WoW clone after WoW clone.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I keep hoping a new MMO will come out that will grab me like the original EQ did but I keep getting disappointed with WoW clone after WoW clone.

I am right there with you. All of the MMO's out recently are made easy. Don't you know its the journey (leveling), not the destination(whee im max level). It took so long to get to max level in EQ1 I made epic friends and had epic adventures. In WoW it took me 3 weeks to get to max level and I barely knew anyone, yay 1 month of grinding and im done! / Rant off

Blizzard could port a low res version of WoW to iOs or android and crush all the competition, but they haven't even tried to tap the market yet, so companies like Gameloft will fill the void until they get purchased for way more than they are worth (rovio). Sadly, the youth will probably eat this game up.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Blizzard copied others and will be copied by others. No big surprise. And I am certain that this application will do nothing to hurt Blizzards' bottom line. So no biggie.

G

ROFLCOPTER ALERT!

Ironic, the company that ripped off Warhammer just got ripped off. Oh, the horror!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I am right there with you. All of the MMO's out recently are made easy. Don't you know its the journey (leveling), not the destination(whee im max level). It took so long to get to max level in EQ1 I made epic friends and had epic adventures. In WoW it took me 3 weeks to get to max level and I barely knew anyone, yay 1 month of grinding and im done! / Rant offBlizzard could port a low res version of WoW to iOs or android and crush all the competition, but they haven't even tried to tap the market yet, so companies like Gameloft will fill the void until they get purchased for way more than they are worth (rovio). Sadly, the youth will probably eat this game up.[/citation]
It took my 2 years and 600 hours to go form lvl 1 to 60, and 100 hours to go to 70. I stopped playing.
I had my share of epic friends, epic adventures, epic fails and epic lulz, but the game became to easy. Only 1 group could defeat Naxx by the time TBC was released on my server, but a dozen guilds downed Illidan in no time.

elbert

Distinguished
Well, to be fair, WoW is mostly a ripoff of J.R.R Tolkien's books the Lord of the Rings.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
ALL fantasy books/games/movies are rippoffs of Lord of the Rings. ALL. Tolkien INVENTED the Orc/evil vs Elf/Human/good thing. Same thing does NOT apply to Star Wars, for example, as there are MANY sci-fi type books from the first half of the 20th Century.

There will always be rip=offs of good ideas. live with it.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The people talking about "Instant Gratification" have obviously never actually played WoW..... I don't see where a 2+hr long raid is anywhere near "instant"...nor is the weeks or months of constant grinding anywhere near "instant".... Casual gamers achieve next to nothing in WoW. Hell, I'm a "casual gamer"....it took me 3 years to get to level 60....4 years to reach level 80. Where was the "instant gratification"??? The Icecrown Citadel raid can take upwards of 8hrs to complete.... Most FPS games can be completed in that time.... Unless you get gratification from every kill....there's nothing "instant" about any aspect of WoW....

Status
Not open for further replies.