Video Games Outsell Movies in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I attest it to how annoyed I am with Hollywood. Why are we paying these spoiled stars $20 million for 3 months (if that) of work. I would much rather pay for something that the face of the product actually had to work for.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
ok, do these figures also inculde online distribution?? Like in a previous article, if games are not counted in then the # of games sold couuld be far greater than what is mentioned here...

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
On the other hand, do they include box-office sales figures? It's all well and good that video games outsold DVDs and Blu-ray discs, but that doesn't mean they outsold movies.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Packaged media refers to games and movies sold in a store, brick and mortar style. As for online sales of games a la Steam or EA Link, I don't believe they are included. I agree that if those games were included, the game sales figures across the board would be much higher.

-Devin C

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Wait a minute... I thought there was so much video game piracy noboday was making money? At least that's what the industry seems to want us to believe.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The numbers are further skewed by the movie RENTAL market. Look at companies like Netflix with more than a 45% increase in revenue last year. I know people also rent games, but Netflix or Blockbuster (and others, of course) can buy a movie once and have 100 people rent and watch that one copy. I doubt the game rental business has numbers like that.

This is also ignoring other digital distribution methods like Netflix watch online service and cable companies on-demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.