VIDEO: iPad 'Playing' Crysis, Kind Of

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]oneamtu[/nom]oh look how advanced the ipad is! if it streams a youtube video of bacon frying that means it can cook too right?[/citation]
+1. Excellent comment.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]let me explain this in slow motion, if ur playing a game at 100 frame rate AND have an internet connection latency of 1000ms your gaming experience will FAIL at the speed of light..... ANY QUESTIONS?[/citation]

Who gets 100fps in Crysis?
Who would even bother playing under conditions whereby it was impossible to do anything? 1,000 ping = 1 second, and I sure wouldn't want to play a fast-paced action game at that.
If the latency was that bad, surely the service would offer something to cope with it?

All this would've been researched beforehand.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
definately fake...when the video first starts, the guy is only running and the user is controlling him with the bottom corners by sliding fingers some...about 4 seconds later the player (in game) starts shooting but the user is still doing the EXACT same motions as if he were just running. he did nothing new to shoot. fake.

a shame too...i was starting to look forward to playing a few games on mu netbook (other than WCIII and CSS)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]Who gets 100fps in Crysis?Who would even bother playing under conditions whereby it was impossible to do anything? 1,000 ping = 1 second, and I sure wouldn't want to play a fast-paced action game at that.If the latency was that bad, surely the service would offer something to cope with it?All this would've been researched beforehand.[/citation]
Yeah, they also offer marijuana to slow your reaction time to match the lag. You're not gonna be any better, but you won't care! ;)

Anyway, the fps in this case is totally irrelevant since the server is rendering the scene, not the client. Only the lag is important here and, yes, 1000ms is way too much. I don't FPS anymore but, if I recall, anything above 150ms was sure to make me lose.

reddragon72

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nictron[/nom]I agree that it is fake. The top shows either a time-demo or recorded benchmark running.Does Tom's not check these before they post![/citation]

Yes it is fake, but no the technology isn't. There are services as stated that can do this, but there is now way that the tiny movement that the person is doing with there fingers is doing anything on the screen. Yes this is fake Ifanboy crap, just trying to get the "super cool toy my mommy can use" out into the public.

You know it goes to show that a closed system, that is controlled by a wanna be super power, can bring so much joy to simple minded people. Go ahead, get your little toys that are managed by others, and controlled by others. It fits you all since the only way you can get out of the bed in the morning is cause your doctor prescribed you little pink pills so you can "cope" with real life judgement's, and another prescription for an "I" product.

Sorry but all those that I know that have Iphones, and even a few with the Ipad all have social issues. And I only keep them around for experiments. And it just makes me sad that the community is, yet again, eating up another one of there controlled products.

G

But the question remain... Wud you like to play Crysis on a big iPOD.. no way mcfanboy

G

Fake. They did the same thing on the iPhone and iTouch, its just a video and some nerd moving his thumbs "in sync." Which is probably that kid's favorite band.

The streaming services will work with anything connected to the internet, including smart phones - so this should not be an iPad article. An Asus tablet running win7 can do the exact same thing. Only reason this is an iPad article is the fanboy author. And no matter what service you use, you will get fragged if you stream.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
No net connection can stream a game...cmon a screenshot alone is like 3 mb. It isnt possible to transcode a vid on the fly. At 1024*768, a 30 second FRAPS vid is like, frikkin' 800mb. How the hell are they going to run a game at any decent res?

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Who gives a crap? The ipad doesn't have enough contols through multitouch to play any pc game the way it should be. Which is why I feel someone needs to make a tablet pc with analog joystick controls and buttons, and a dedicated popout or detachable keyboard.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Compression. You can still achieve decent results using relatively high compression with an MPEG4 stream.

FRAPS does it all lossless; that 30 second video of yours can potentially take up 2GB at 30fps - 3 bytes per pixel means 2.25MB per frame. 900 frames later...

A DVD quality rip in XviD, for example, can be as low as 1.5Mbit/second at 25fps with 5.1 sound. There's nothing to say this service can't operate at, say, 6-8Mbit/s and still look and flow good.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
what people don't seem to understand is that cloud gaming will always fail. There is no way to cope with high pings, it is not a server problem, it is a network problem, the only way around it is if the game company brings a direct fiber line to your hope and to a local server in your area, the moment it has to run through the ISP, you will get lag, also the lag times are doubled for everything.

first you are sending out data, then the server receives the data and performs the action and sends the video and audio to your device.

The only way for cloud gaming to solve the lag problem is to make a server that can look into the future and know what you are going to press before you press it so when you actually do press it the response already reached you.

Status
Not open for further replies.