VIDEO: Kinect to Hit November, Looks Exhausting

Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Every user demo of this seems to be just frantic flailing. Is there a demo where they aren't smacking balls into a wall? I wanna see MW2 or Gears2 played on it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It's the same freaking demo they showed over a year ago. If they don't have something more in depth to show today they should just abandon the project because not too many people are going to spend $150 just to play crap like this. I know I won't be.

dogofwars

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
In the end you might just see this thing working in rehabilitation center. I don't want to use that and look like a complete retard.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
How about a video of it in action and not of the retarded people playing. From the split second the screen was in view, it looked as if the tracking was sporadic....then again there were 4 people waving their arms around like lunatics.

I certainly won't be spending the same amount of money on a peripheral as I did on the system itself. I think I'm getting deja vu....HD-DVD player add-on anyone?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Wow...that looked kinda lame. At the end it looked like the writer guy was starting to actually try, but it was so hard to tell what was going on with all the people flailing their arms around.

There is so much potential here it is crazy, yet all we seem to see is people flailing about.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Needs a bigger screen to be played on to be enjoyable imho. And a game that doesn't need you flaping your arms around like a twat.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
My honest interpretation: The "demo" appears to have no grip on what people are wanting to see. They are showing us the wrong thing. They want to say "hey, look, see these people using Kinect and how much fun they are having!" Which is true, the people do look like they are having fun at whatever it is they are trying to do... But from the outside looking in, it appears they aren't doing anything much useful. There appears to be no skill involved in what they are doing and in fact, the adults appears to just flail hoping to meet the objective and the children just appear to mimic the adults. I have to ask, how fun is that tomorrow? Remembering back to my days of purchasing a webcam, it came with software much like what we see in this demo. It was sort of like handball but you held up your hand or an object (a pencil, stick or whatever) where the cam could "see" it and you "hit" the ball as it approached the screen from some distant blank wall. I remember taking my hand and moving it violently in front of the screen and successfully hitting the ball each time it approached. Did I have fun? For about 5 minutes. Did I play the game after those 5 minutes? Not even once.

What the demo should have shown is something that's skill related and requires a little bit of talent. Boxing comes to mind. Ducking jabs, landing a right hook, moving around the room and timing your attacks. That would have held so much more value in a demonstration.

If they really wanted to include multiple people playing at once then a demo that showed something similar to Halo where one person could drive a vehicle and the other would man a gun turret on top. An added effect would be leaning your body (as the gunner) to deter the "inertia" of the turns. Lean into the turn to keep your gun aimed in the right direction just like you'd have to do in reality. Your body pushed to one side or the other doesn't offer very reliable aim.

Overall, add skill and movement that appears to be actually playing a game and remove the "look at me spazzing in front of the motion sensor" effect just to say "look at these people having a good time."

Status
Not open for further replies.