Video-out problems in windows

c6burns

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Greetings All,

I have recently purchased a new laptop with an svideo-out. However, when hooked into the svideo-in on my television, video from windows media player or any other player does not display properly (just blank pixels). I have been told that this is due to the way video information is displayed in windows using directx . . . . the same thing happens when taking a screenshot of a video while it's playing in Window Media Player. The screen is blank where the video should be.

Does anyone know of a player than can play divx or any other movies without using directx or any of the other technologies that do not allow video to be displayed through my svideo-out? Or am I stuck buying some sort of additional hardware?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Chris Burns

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
In order to use the svideo-out, you might need to enable it from some sort of device selection option of display card properties. Check the display card manual or web site to find out the exact setting procedure.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is your tv completely blank or is a desktop showing up with a hole where the video is suppose to be?

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

c6burns

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
A hole where the video is supposed to be . . . just blank pixels. I can surf the web and do anything else. But anything relying on DirectX will not work properly.

Technically speaking, the problem is that my laptop's svideo out does not export anything written directly to the screeen, but will only export information from the video buffer. Thus DirectX (so aptly named because it writes information directly to the screen) will not be shown.

My questions is not how to get my TV to work, or how to get my svideo card to work. They are both working 100%. My real question is how can I get around this little difficulty without buying another video out card? So, I can only imagine that there are video players that do not use directx . . . . do you know of one, or somewher I can search?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I understand the question. You could purchase a vga to video adapter and that would work for sure.

I had a pcmcia video accelerator from Margi that helps a slower laptop play dvds and it also outputs to composite rca, but it only worked with video formats supported by their player so basically it sucked.

Lastly you could try downloading other players like "the playa" or others from <A HREF="http://www.doom9.net" target="_new">http://www.doom9.net</A>. I have no idea if any players bypass dx but since they are generally free it will not kill you to try a few.

Good luck!

BTW I've got a home system with an ATI radeon hooked up to a stereo and a tv and it plays all types of video perfectly fine on the tv with s-vid. The tv works fine reguardless of weather I use the ati software or the playa or regular old windows media player. Evidently the Radeon has the connecton to s-vid after the direct x stuff where on your laptop the s-vid must be coming off before direct x is done on your card.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lakedude on 10/22/02 06:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
I think you have to make the TV your primary output and the Laptop's LCD the secondary output.

To do this (at least w/ an ATI card) you have to go to "Control Panel" >> "Display" >> "Settings" >> "Advanced Options" >> and go to the "Displays" tab. There, set your primary video to the TV and make the laptop's LCD screen the secondary output. You won't see the video on the laptop, but at least its on the TV, right?

-----

In a world... where nothing is interesting...

<A HREF="http:// www.nosmarts.com " target="_new">http:// www.nosmarts.com </A>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Disable 'overlays', I had major problems with this a couple of weeks ago, when I disabled overlays ´(thanks to the person who told me this, obviously I forgot the name...so no credits this time...as usual :tongue: )it suddenly worked.

<font color=blue>My sig, not yours</font color=blue>