VIDEO: Portal Gets Ported to Android (Sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Well done, Android. Remember that Android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of resistance...(to all apple fans) :p

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
There are already Android games running on the Unreal engine, why couldn't they just port the Source engine and give us the game in full? Great job and all making this but why reinvent the wheel here? On a side note I bet that since the Unreal engine runs so well with dungeon defenders that other older engines like quake 3 could run too. It seems to me that Android is sitting on the edge of a canyon of awesome. We just need some developers to jump in.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I can already see Gabe sitting behind this, portal gun in hand, smiling, LOLing at the populace hoping and praying for an official Portal release for Android (even if they claim Valve isn't part of the development) after this troll...

HL3 anyone? :/

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Android is user friendly more than the typical Linux distros. With Android for x86 becoming a real product with driver support, I can easily see this as the future of cross-platform compatibility, from cell phones, to consoles, to desktops. Game support by rewriting for open source graphics accelerators, or even emulation of directx.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]Android is user friendly more than the typical Linux distros. With Android for x86 becoming a real product with driver support, I can easily see this as the future of cross-platform compatibility, from cell phones, to consoles, to desktops. Game support by rewriting for open source graphics accelerators, or even emulation of directx.[/citation]

Steam games already have OpenGL support. That is how they run on MAC.

builder4

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Mobile graphics have come a long way very quickly... I remember not too long ago being impressed at my phone having snake and space impact!

oasiz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Still just exported models, textures and geometry with barely any gameplay related code.
(even quake1 could get very close to this, ports even closer :p)
A nice proof of concept anyway, but this is still lacks the essential elements which is a fully working placeable portal with render trough, the hardest part sadly :(.
I guess one could do some clever texture that is actually an camera pointing from the exit (Kinda like how duke3D cameras worked), updating at a certain rate.
Good thing that portal1 was rather simple so not THAT much gamecode is needed to get much of the same feel.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zippyzion[/nom]There are already Android games running on the Unreal engine, why couldn't they just port the Source engine and give us the game in full? Great job and all making this but why reinvent the wheel here? On a side note I bet that since the Unreal engine runs so well with dungeon defenders that other older engines like quake 3 could run too. It seems to me that Android is sitting on the edge of a canyon of awesome. We just need some developers to jump in.[/citation]

unreal engine lisesnce at least the last time i bothered to look it up was 750,000$, not sure if other versions of the engine exist, and pretty sure that useing the engine for this is a no no...

that said if i had the skill to make an engine, why would i want to use unreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.