video temp files and other types of program questions?

Jan 11, 2019
Do video editing programs create their own temp files that could fill up the OS Drive?

Should they be move to another drive?

Is there any other type of programs that may need to be moved off the OS Drive?

What should I keep on the OS Drive and what should I relocate to another drive?

Thanks In Advance

Solution
Two questions (maybe 3 now) it seems....

Video application:

1) Whatever video app you use should be installed on the C: drive. During the installation process you will most likely be prompted for options such as storage locations, backup files, etc.. Go with the defaults unless you have other specific reasons for changing the defaults.

Storage:

2) Files that are not used very often (normally data) do not need to be stored on the C:drive. Move those files to another drive but ensure that that drive/location is part of your backup process.

Note: I prefer to keep my C: drive below 75% capacity. And even lower for the most part. Drives tend to fill over time so I do regular housecleaning to remove old apps, data, temp files...
Possible. However most well designed/written apps will do the necessary housecleaning to remove temp files. Or doing so may be an option within the software product.

Could also be some interim backup process that executes automatically and save the work to some default location or user configured location.

Locations being other folders or drives.

What video editing program or programs are you using? What file extensions are on the temp files?

Normally .tmp but some apps use other extensions in order to identify their own files of any type.

Identifying/posting the video editing software product will be helpful.

Jan 11, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tec2lrn : "Programs/Software SSD's and Temp files"

What should not be installed on C: OS Drive, SSD?
What should be installed on a C: OS Drive, SSD?
Do all Video editing software create temp, or any other type of files that you would not want on your C: OS Drive?

Thanks in advance

With respect to C: drive (SSD or otherwise) there are "best practices" to be found.

Everyone's situation is different but there are some overall guidelines and recommendations.

Google "best practices hard drive management"

Example links to be found:

https://guides.library.upenn.edu/datamgmt/bestpractices

http://www.asianefficiency.com/organization/organizing-files-folders-documents/

You can vary the search criteria as necessary for your situation and requirements. Pick and chose ideas/practices that will work for you. Plan it out and implement accordingly. Ensure that you have multiple backups and recovery methods available. And test them beforehand. Not uncommon to have regular backups made but then the recovery process fails....

As for creating unwanted files (temp or otherwise) a well written app should clean up and delete any interim files that no longer serve any particular purpose or have immediate value beyond the editing effort.

Many applications (income tax software for example) may store multiple and perhaps endless backups without some "housecleaning". Or lengthy logs may be created to document what the app has been doing. Audit records.

Such features should be end-user controllable to some extent or another. Very common would be automatic file deletion after some number of days. Or when the accumulated files reach some total GB in size. Again both methods may allow the end user to set the limits or other controlling conditions. Perhaps automatic deletion or deletion at the limit if confirmed by end-user....

User Guides and Manuals may provide the necessary information and configuration options. Always important to learn the default settings...

Jan 11, 2019

Cyberlink Power Director 16 good or bad, I just can't afford ADOBE, AVID, Grass Valley, etc...

Supported Formats

Video File Import H.265/HEVC, MVC (MTS), Side-by-Side, Top-Under, Dual-Stream AVI, FLV (H.264), MKV (multiple audio streams), 3GPP2, AVCHD (M2T, MTS), AVI, DAT, DivX (codec must be downloaded online; available for 32-bit Windows OS only), DV-AVI, DVR-MS, MOD, MOV (H.264/alpha PNG), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), MP4 (XAVC S), TOD, VOB, VRO, WMV, WMV-HD, WTV in H.264/MPEG2 (multiple video and audio streams), DSLR video clip in H.264 format with LPCM/AAC/ Dolby Digital audio, 360 video (equirectangular format MP4 (H.264); supports up to 4K resolution in 2:1 aspect ratio)

Audio File Import WAV, MP3, WMA, M4A, OGG, FLAC, AAC

Audio Format Import AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, WAVE, MPEG-1 Layer III, FLAC, ALAC

Photo File Import MPO, JPS, RAW, GIF, BMP, JPG, TIF, PNG, Animated GIF, 360 photo (equirectangular format JPG/TIF in 2:1 aspect ratio)

Look-Up Table Import 3DL, MGA, M3D, CUBE, CSP, CMS, RV3DLUT, VF

Video File Exporting 3D video (MVC, Side-by-Side, Anaglyph), HD (AVCHD, AVCHD 2.0 -- 3D/Progressive -- MPEG-2 HD, WMV-HD), 2K/4K resolution (H.264 AVC, WMV, H.265 HEVC, XAVC S), MKV with Dolby Digital/LPCM audio, MPEG-2 (.MPG) with Dolby Digital audio), MPEG-2 TS (.M2TS) with Dolby Digital/LPCM audio, MPEG-4 AVC (.MP4) with AAC/Dolby Digital audio, Windows Media Video (.WMV) with WMA audio, DV-AVI (.AVI) with PCM audio, AVCHD 2.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS memory card or flash memory, TPD for HDD camcorder, 360 video (equirectangular format MP4 [H.264])

Audio File Exporting AAC (.M4A), WMA, LPCM (.WAV)

Formats Supported for Disc Creation 3D Disc Burning: DVD/AVCHD/BD
DVD
BD Burning: BDMV
AVCHD disc burning
DVD & BD disc burning with DTS audio

hope this is what you needed and me to I guess.

Thanks

Two questions (maybe 3 now) it seems....

Video application:

1) Whatever video app you use should be installed on the C: drive. During the installation process you will most likely be prompted for options such as storage locations, backup files, etc.. Go with the defaults unless you have other specific reasons for changing the defaults.

Storage:

2) Files that are not used very often (normally data) do not need to be stored on the C:drive. Move those files to another drive but ensure that that drive/location is part of your backup process.

Note: I prefer to keep my C: drive below 75% capacity. And even lower for the most part. Drives tend to fill over time so I do regular housecleaning to remove old apps, data, temp files, backup copies, etc..

"Third question"

3) What does any given software app do with respect to backups, temp files, and so forth? That information is generally covered in the applicable User Guide/Manual. More information may be found online via the manufacturer's website. Sometimes in Forums and FAQs. Or some tech support desk.

Solution
Jan 11, 2019

Thanks for the links both good reads and for study, and in study.

Everything else you said, good insight , personal common sense, and well said.

I agree.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2019

1. Check (possibly file size, less writes to OS SSD?)
2. Check
3. Going to have to get my hands dirty sometime.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2019

I was just going over all of your responses from the beginning of the post and all I can say is, pure gold, nothing but pure gold, very good advice with insight, personal thought, etc... pure gold! I very super appreciate it.

Side note: Sure would like to lay my multi drive configuration to rest maybe we could sling some drives at a windows 7 computer and see what sticks where and why. Interested?

Thanks
pure gold

I favor smaller drives (240 GB SSDs) with clones for backups and selected folders for regular backups to a NAS (WD 1TB) and an external USB drive. Also create and store images as another way to recover.

Not much of a data saver other than family photographs. Very little music. No playlists, no movies, just a few games. Tend to keep it all simple.

No problem per se with multi-drive configurations. I have used D: drive and/or partitioning from time to time.

I have a older backup computer that I use for experimentation, testing software etc.. Drive caddies to faciliate drive swaping is another option if a second PC is not viable.

As long as you are certain that "normal" is not at risk and that you can easily/straightforwardly restore to "normal" experiment with drives all you wish.

Still a second PC of any sort is the safest overall. PC does not necessarily have to have "killer" hardware specs for basic testing and trials.

If you have the opportunity to do so, start reading through the posts in the Storage category. Not only are there many problems/questions posted therein, there are also some very experienced contributors who offer lots of advice, ideas, explanations, and most importantly solutions.

Jan 11, 2019

Thanks again
pure gold my friend, pure gold:star: