VIDEO: The BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Wow that was impressive!

@husker that was an Adobe's MAX developers conference

The RIM Playbook truly had smooth playback and response. I hope the models that ship are that responsive and smooth. It looks like RIM really got the multitasking thing right as well.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Lol the RIM guys trying to make this presentation to sound like an Apple event :)

OK I know htat some of you guys will shrug just for hearing the name Apple, but can you count how many times this guys used the "excite" keyword?

It's exciting, new exciting, I am so excited.... etc, etc... lol :D and they are both speaking at each other glorifying their own product and acknowledging their own words as, " Yeah, thats right, it's and exciting product!" lol, lol, lol....
Come on guys try to be a bit more original. Also fix some of the performance issues, that GUI is laggin like hell.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]That video is a prime example of why you should let the marketing people do the marketing. NOT the techs!!![/citation]

Yeah, quite true

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]jmchien[/nom]Is it me or does it look like he's pressing really hard on the touch screen?..[/citation]
Is not you, he is pressing hard.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]@husker that was an Adobe's MAX developers conference.[/citation]
Understood. But in today's instantly connected YouTube world, everything is a marketing video. The guy said it himself, that this is the first public demo of the Playbook. Is that really the first impression that a marketing guru would want for this excellent product? It doesn't matter that it was at a dev conference, they have to be aware that tens of thousands more people will watch that video clip out of context and only care about seeing how cool the Playbook is (or isn't).

G

This device is total fail. There's just no practical use for it, no reason for anyone to want it. The iPad was a great extension of the iPhone, that is to say an all touchscreen portable device sufficient for browsing the web. It was designed for those who simply wanted more interactivity/larger screen. This playbook is simply trying to make a niche for itself by copying the same idea, and hoping that having it 3" smaller will help it stand out. Ultimately the device is too small to break the cell-phone barrier for functionality, uses a proprietary OS that nobody will care to develop for (much like the original BB os), and has a new UI that basically tries to "be different" while "being the same" as current mobile UI's. RIM is terrible with UI's and while they didnt directly develop this one, I can already see its shortcomings. Coupled with no 3G capability (without tethering to your BB if you still use one of those), lousy hardware, and this sudden reliance on Adobe products as some sort of selling point, this device will fall between the cracks like most of RIM's offerings in the last 5 years.

RIM's only claim to fame was email on your phone. But now any phone can do that, and 10x better. I really dont see RIM having anywhere else to go now. No way they can compete and innovate with google/apple/microsoft.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]smeker[/nom]Is not you, he is pressing hard.[/citation]
The question here is did he WANT to press hard, or did he HAVE to press hard! That could be a deal-breaker if you have to punch the device to work.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]The question here is did he WANT to press hard, or did he HAVE to press hard! That could be a deal-breaker if you have to punch the device to work.[/citation]

Yes indeed :)

BTW. whats up with al lthe spam lately... Tom! Put in some protective measures

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
To me, it's not exactly a selling point having insecure and under-performing Adobe software and especially Flash taking such a central position in the device. Flash is too proprietary, unstable, slow and low-quality video-wise to be a cornerstone of any system. While I'm not an Apple user and can't stand Steve Jobs, the man has a few good points when he rages on against Flash...

Apart from that, the device itself looks pretty solid.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
The interface looks very laggy and unresponsive. I'm staying away from this one unless I hear some stellar reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.